Apple refuses to help FBI Crack terrorist's iPhone citing right to privacy

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
It appears that former, aging Microsoft CEO Bill Gates wants it both ways: He has "backed the FBI, denying that they are asking for a back door," according to MacRumors.

Mere hours later, he expressed his disappointment at reports that he backs the FBI, reports USA Today.
I'm curious. Was "aging" necessary? We're all aging, so why would that matter? A little personal bias there, Raf? I didn't find that word in either of your linked articles.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I'm curious. Was "aging" necessary? We're all aging, so why would that matter? A little personal bias there, Raf? I didn't find that word in either of your linked articles.
Busted!

Just a bit of personal bias, yes.

That word wasn't necessary. It was an observation. It was not a direct quote from either of the linked articles, as you indicated.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
The only solution is to bring Jack Bauer back out of retirement and make this his next big case. We can probably expect a lot of yelling and a high body count and when it's finished we will be thoroughly entertained. Jack also needs Chloe exonerated and back at CTU.

up10ad

Genius
Gold
Aug 1, 2007
Fruita , CO
up10ad.com
Busted!

Just a bit of personal bias, yes.

That word wasn't necessary. It was an observation. It was not a direct quote from either of the linked articles, as you indicated.
Hmmm, I'm older than Bill by 5 years, and I created communication software for the early days of the Internet (BBSs). I'm firmly behind Tim Cook and Apples's position. This issue isn't age related. And old lives matter ;).

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
"Apple is saying that the iPhone in question, used by shooter Syed Rizwan Farook, had its passcode changed within 24 hours of it coming into government possession. If that hadn't happened, then Apple thinks it might have been possible to access the phone without creating custom software to bypass the phone's passcode requirement. This could've been done through a tactic that would've connected the phone to a known Wi-Fi network and caused the device to automatically back up its data to Apple servers…"​

And what would've happened if the device would've backed up its data to Apple servers? Apple and/or the FBI could've had access to the data there?

…So I'm interpreting this to mean that our data is only 100% secure as long as we don't back up to Apple servers?
We don't use or have that "tactic". I doubt it's the same as backing up to iCloud or iTunes as we know it. Your stuff is safe, Raf!
Following up on the above-quoted post of mine, I may have been correct to wonder whether our iPhone data becomes less than 100% secure when it gets backed up to iCloud.

MacRumors reports that iCloud backups aren't as secure as iOS devices to make restoring data easier, and references an article published by The Verge titled "The iCloud Loophope: Your iPhone may be nearly impermeable, but its online backup isn’t" in which Walt Mossberg explains "the reason why iCloud data can't be made as secure as data stored solely on an iPhone or iPad."

Hate to say it (okay, no, I don't), but, "I told you so!" :D

Mrallank59

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 8, 2013
I don't think the FBI had to crack the phone in question on their own. In fact, I don't think they had to do anything. I think the public is being told one thing, and behind closed doors something else is happening. Obama never wanted this info to protect us. He wants it to have more control over us. I believe Apple was gonna give the government what it wanted all along.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
I don't think the FBI had to crack the phone in question on their own. In fact, I don't think they had to do anything. I think the public is being told one thing, and behind closed doors something else is happening. Obama never wanted this info to protect us. He wants it to have more control over us. I believe Apple was gonna give the government what it wanted all along.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Really?
While you make one good point, I think you're giving too much credit elsewhere. I disagree with your belief concerning Apple.

I'm not trying to play moderator or anything, but in the apparent absence of our staff lately I will humbly remind you to please not make comments of political nature that might inspire debate. :) Obama doesn't care about that iPhone. He's just a yes man to his handlers. ;)

Last edited:

Mrallank59

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 8, 2013
Hey Kadelic. Its cool I ain't mad at ya. I wasn't even thinking about that. If I post something that I shouldn't, feel free to correct me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk