Apple refuses to help FBI Crack terrorist's iPhone citing right to privacy

Discussion in 'iPhone 5C' started by bballrob, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

#43 Napoleon PhoneApart, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

It appears that former, aging Microsoft CEO Bill Gates wants it both ways: He has "backed the FBI, denying that they are asking for a back door," according to MacRumors.

Mere hours later, he expressed his disappointment at reports that he backs the FBI, reports USA Today.

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'm curious. Was "aging" necessary? We're all aging, so why would that matter? A little personal bias there, Raf? I didn't find that word in either of your linked articles.

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Busted!

Just a bit of personal bias, yes.

That word wasn't necessary. It was an observation. It was not a direct quote from either of the linked articles, as you indicated.

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

And this is why I can't take you seriously.;)

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

9. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

The only solution is to bring Jack Bauer back out of retirement and make this his next big case. We can probably expect a lot of yelling and a high body count and when it's finished we will be thoroughly entertained. Jack also needs Chloe exonerated and back at CTU.

10. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Hmmm, I'm older than Bill by 5 years, and I created communication software for the early days of the Internet (BBSs). I'm firmly behind Tim Cook and Apples's position. This issue isn't age related. And old lives matter ;).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

#52 Rafagon, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  12. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Following up on the above-quoted post of mine, I may have been correct to wonder whether our iPhone data becomes less than 100% secure when it gets backed up to iCloud.

MacRumors reports that iCloud backups aren't as secure as iOS devices to make restoring data easier, and references an article published by The Verge titled "The iCloud Loophope: Your iPhone may be nearly impermeable, but its online backup isn’t" in which Walt Mossberg explains "the reason why iCloud data can't be made as secure as data stored solely on an iPhone or iPad."

Hate to say it (okay, no, I don't), but, "I told you so!" :D

13. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Stumped, the Federal Bureau of Investigation has enlisted Israeli firm Cellebrite to help unlock the now-infamous iPhone 5c owned by Mr. Syed Farook.

Cellebrite-800x171.jpg

Cellebrite good times, come on!
    (It's a Cellebrītion)

Note: I’m just recalling the song; I wasn’t chanting for Cellebrite to succeed.

14. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

15. Mrallank59

Mrallank59 Contributor
    Bronze

I don't think the FBI had to crack the phone in question on their own. In fact, I don't think they had to do anything. I think the public is being told one thing, and behind closed doors something else is happening. Obama never wanted this info to protect us. He wants it to have more control over us. I believe Apple was gonna give the government what it wanted all along.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

While you make one good point, I think you're giving too much credit elsewhere. I disagree with your belief concerning Apple.

I'm not trying to play moderator or anything, but in the apparent absence of our staff lately I will humbly remind you to please not make comments of political nature that might inspire debate. :) Obama doesn't care about that iPhone. He's just a yes man to his handlers. ;)

#58 Kadelic, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  17. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

The whole thing is a sham. The NSA and FBI never needed Apple's "help."

18. Mrallank59

Mrallank59 Contributor
    Bronze

Hey Kadelic. Its cool I ain't mad at ya. I wasn't even thinking about that. If I post something that I shouldn't, feel free to correct me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk