Apple refuses to help FBI Crack terrorist's iPhone citing right to privacy

Mrallank59

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 8, 2013
I wasn't aware of the political rule. I'll be more mindful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
And unsurprisingly, they found nothing of use on it. He had two phones, a work phone and a personal phone. He smashed the personal phone with a hammer before committing the act and left the work phone intact. Since he was smart enough to destroy one of them, there was a high probability that the one he left intact had no useful information on it. But obviously, a good investigation would involve checking it no matter how bad the odds are of anything substantial being found. The problem was how they tried to use it to set a precedent for future abuse.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
And unsurprisingly, they found nothing of use on it. He had two phones, a work phone and a personal phone. He smashed the personal phone with a hammer before committing the act and left the work phone intact. Since he was smart enough to destroy one of them, there was a high probability that the one he left intact had no useful information on it. But obviously, a good investigation would involve checking it no matter how bad the odds are of anything substantial being found. The problem was how they tried to use it to set a precedent for future abuse.
I agree, that was really the goal. Civil liberties slowly lost the same way !

Jan 2, 2017
Cyber security is a huge public safety concern. On the one hand, the FBI is confronted with its current dilemma of gathering evidence in a terrorism case. On the other hand, Apple is considering the strategic implications of a world in which strong encryption is ubiquitous but only available to bad actors and not consumers of American products.