Apple Refusing Service on Hacked iPhones?

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
ZDNet's Apple Core blog notes that if you've hacked your iPhone, you may want to restore to defaults before bringing it into an Apple Store for service.

A colleague of O'Grady's was initially refused service for his iPhone due to a combination of 3rd party applications and an unlocked iPhone (on T-Mobile). So while he eventually got Apple to return the iPhone (after paying the restocking fee, that is), the lesson here is to do a restore of your iPhone and re-install the factory AT&T SIM before bringing into an Apple Store for service. That’s the beauty of software-only hacks, after all!

More concerning is that initially this persons phone was refused service and blacklisted from future service, but after discussions with the mananger, this was lifted.

Link: http://www.macrumors.com/iPhone/2007/09/20/apple-refusing-service-on-hacked-iphones/

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I saw this article this morning and just had to shake my head in disbelief. Did he really think Apple was going to service a hacked out iPhone running T-Mobile service.

If I was the guy at the Apple Store, I think I'd say, "You're serious?". I remember a thread here a while back where an Apple Store employee gave an EIP member the evil eye because they had iPhone hacking website on Safari. Running T-Mobile? That takes...well you know....this is a family friendly site.:p

-Chris

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
This guy must have been an idiot! "Uh, there appears to be something wrong with my phone. Let me just show you how I have been altering the software and switching networks!" This tool deserved to be on a blacklist! They should have kept him on it too.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
This guy must have been an idiot! "Uh, there appears to be something wrong with my phone. Let me just show you how I have been altering the software and switching networks!" This tool deserved to be on a blacklist! They should have kept him on it too.
What's funny is the guy probably won't be the last to try it. Words to live by: "Restore before Repair."

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
ZDNet's Apple Core blog notes that if you've hacked your iPhone, you may want to restore to defaults before bringing it into an Apple Store for service.

A colleague of O'Grady's was initially refused service for his iPhone due to a combination of 3rd party applications and an unlocked iPhone (on T-Mobile). So while he eventually got Apple to return the iPhone (after paying the restocking fee, that is), the lesson here is to do a restore of your iPhone and re-install the factory AT&T SIM before bringing into an Apple Store for service. That’s the beauty of software-only hacks, after all!

More concerning is that initially this persons phone was refused service and blacklisted from future service, but after discussions with the mananger, this was lifted.

Link: http://www.macrumors.com/iPhone/2007/09/20/apple-refusing-service-on-hacked-iphones/

The ignorance of some people, never ceases to amaze me. Did the guy really expect service? His brain must have been hacked and modded..M

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
People will try just about anything and display just about zero common sense in this sort of area. Years ago, I did phone support on Windows / MS Office issues - had a caller with severe Office Install issues. Eventually, after far too many wasted minutes, I asked what their CD looked like - caller told me it was 'gold' and was given to her by a friend. She was amazed and NOT a happy camper when I explained we did not support pirated copies of Office ...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Some people really don't think, do they?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
The First Rule of Fight Club: There is no Fight Club.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
i don't mean to sound rude but how stupid could this guy be?! who in their right mind woukld think that they could get their HACKED phone used for ANOTHER COMPANY would be fixed by Apple? thatsjust plain stupidity there.

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
"Ah, Sir, why does it say Tmobile in the upper left hand corner?"

"Also, I don't think that any of the original iPhones came with Nintendo games to play."