Apple Releases iOS 9.3.4

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Rafagon, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I realize a thread for the release of iOS 9.3.4 was already created, but that one was placed in the Modification and Jailbreak subforum and, accordingly, seems geared towards that community. If you are part of the jailbreak community, be sure to visit that thread as you are sure to find something there that will be of interest to you. Knowledgeable folks are standing by and ready to help.

This iOS 9.3.4 thread is intended for the discussion of non-jailbreak-related topics.

I just updated to iOS 9.3.4. The update went smoothly (I updated with my iPhone connected to my iMac and using iTunes, as opposed to OTA) and I gained a conservative but meaningful 0.3 GB of free space after the update. I have the 16 GB model of the iPhone 6s Plus, so every bit of space counts. I’m not sure if the extra space I gained was the result of Apple optimizing the footprint of iOS or if it’s just part of a regular cleanup and purging of app caches that happens during all iOS updates. Whatever the reason, I’m glad to see the extra space. It’s going to come in handy to store all the Pokémon I hope to catch during the coming days.

Here are before and after screenshots of my Storage screen:

before.PNG after.PNG

Interestingly, after the iPhone went through all the motions of updating to iOS 9.3.4 and the process was nearly complete, iTunes decided to inform me of the availability of iOS 9.3.4 and asked if I wanted to update—even though iTunes itself had just helped perform the update to iOS 9.3.4.

iTunes needs to be more alert to what it does, apparently. Why ask me if I want to update to iOS 9.3.4 if we’ve just finished doing so?

Obviously, I clicked on “Heck No!” Actually, the exact text on the button was “Later”:
    After phone had gone through all the motions of updating to iOS 9.3.4.png
    Do any of you have any interesting stories to share regarding updating to iOS 9.3.4? Do tell!

2. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Well thanks @Rafagon! I had NO IDEA! there was another update today. I just checked my iPhone and there it is. Of course I had no badge on the Settings tab, that would have helped.

Just checked my iPad and there was no badge on the Settings tab either. I'll update when I get home I suppose. LOL! If it wasn't for you I would not have known! Thank you my Love!

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

9.3.4 is basically to patch the exploit used by the Pangu jailbreak team to jailbreak 9.3.3.

4. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Ahhh, it's to thwart the Jailbreaking community! I suppose I don't need to update then if there is nothing else offered in the update.

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Here’s what iOS 9.3.4 offers, in all its glorious technical lingo. At least some of those phrases should scare you into updating. :D

iOS 9.3.4
    Released August 4, 2016

IOMobileFrameBuffer

Available for: iPhone 4s and later, iPad 2 and later, iPod touch (5th generation) and later

Impact: An application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges

Description: A memory corruption issue was addressed through improved memory handling.

CVE-2016-4654: Team Pangu

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Like I said - a patch for the jailbreak. Did you see how Apple thanks Team Pangu for the exploit?

7. brdmsd

brdmsd Member
    Bronze

I installed 9.3.4 and my battery drained twice as fast