Apple releases Safari 8.0.2 after quietly pulling Safari 8.0.1

Discussion in 'Mac OS X' started by Rafagon, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Unknown-1.jpeg Unknown.jpeg Screen Shot 2014-12-14 at 5.43.22 PM.png Unknown-2.jpeg

Apple got caught pulling shoddy software again...

This time they pulled Safari 8.0.1, who did God-knows-what to your system, and they later issued Safari 8.0.2.to replace it.

If these shenanigans continue, I'm going to request that they quietly pull Tim Cook and replace him with someone who can run a tight ship.

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I guess I've had the latest version as I'm on beta for Yosemite, but I'm glad I don't use Safari if it caused big issues.

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

What is it about 8.0.1 revisions?

4. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

What is new in 8.0.2? I'm not part of the beta program so I'm wondering if it's worth it to upgrade. I have my iPhone set to auto update apps and then I go in the App Store to view the changes.

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

This is not my own personal answer, it's copied and pasted from an article about the update.

On Friday, Apple released version 8.0.2 of its Safari web browser:

The new version, a 53.8 megabyte download, offers the following fixes and changes:
    • Fixes an issue that could prevent history from syncing across devices if iCloud Drive is not on.
    • Fixes an issue that could prevent a saved password from being autofilled after two devices are added to iCloud Keychain.
    • Improves the performance of WebGL graphics on Retina displays.
    • •Allows users to import usernames and passwords from Firefox.
    • Fixes a rare issue in which some users were unable to access Safari after installing the 8.0.1 update.
    Safari 8.0.2 can be downloaded via Software Update or the App Store and requires Mac OS X 10.10 or later to install and run.

I can tell you one thing that wasn't fixed. I followed a link to this page and got bombarded at least ten times with that pop-up (I kept on clicking on Don't Allow). It only ceased to harass me after I checked the "Remember my decision for one day" box.

10x.jpg (thumbnail; click to enlarge)

UPDATE: I just noticed that you mentioned your iPhone is set to auto updates. This has nothing to do with your iPhone. This is OS X Safari.

As far as mobile Safari, I've never seen it get updated on its own. Apple releases an iOS update instead, if it needs to update its Safari app.