Apple replaced my phone

erhalt1

Bronze
Jul 10, 2008
Apple replaced my iPhone because it developed at crack. just to let everyone know if you have this problem send it in, I called them yesterday morn, and received it this morn.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
Congrats on the new phone :)

FYI Apple replaced 5 of my phones since August of last year 1 more and I get a set of steak knives :eek:

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Was the crack near the headphone jack? Nicely done on the replacement. I'm heading to Apple in a bit because of an extremely poor battery.

Cjvdh

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2009
York, PA
www.twitter.com
I was at the Apple last weekend and they replaced mine too. The whole touchscreen went out and they replaced that but it still did not fix the problem so they replaced it for FREE!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
So before they replaced it, they made you wait while they actually replaced the screen right there in the store?

I didn't know they did repairs in the Apple Stores. I thought they just replaced them with refurbs.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I've never known an Apple employee to take the screws out of the bottom, let alone replace the glass. I had a 3G replaced in January due to an entire row of the screen not working and they just swapped it out immediately and said they don't do repairs in store (which I already knew).

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
GL with that battery replacement Youngbinks.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Yeah the battery is iffy. They will try to pull it off that you will get around 3-4 hours and that is normal. NO IT'S NOT! Mine used to get at least 6 hours of heavy use. Restore your iPhone right before you go to the store. They run some stupid diagnostic program on your iPhone and won't get jack from it if you just restored it. They'll have to take your word and replace it. Works every time... :cool:

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
Was the crack near the headphone jack? Nicely done on the replacement. I'm heading to Apple in a bit because of an extremely poor battery.

Ive had mine replaced twice and my wifes once just because of the crack and yes its always right by the headphone jack about even with the silent switch

The genius told me that a crack is an automatic replacement regardless if you have any other problems or not

cdc515

Bronze
Jun 10, 2009
my brother dropped his phone and there is like 3 hair line cracks on the screen above the home screen everything else works fine. He got the phone less than 30 days ago at ATT store do you think APPLE will replace the phone and give him a new one?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
They won't replace it if the screen is cracked because that's obvious accidental damage. The hairline cracks in the plastic occur due to a manufacturing flaw, so those are covered.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
do any of you guys who had phones replaced, have AppleCare?
Apple Care has not kicked in on any of the 3G's yet. They wern't available until 7-11-08, so all of them are still covered under the 1 year manufacturers warranty. Apple Care just extends that to a 2 year, but it doesn't kick in until 7-12-09 if you bought the phone on release day last year.

cdc515

Bronze
Jun 10, 2009
do you think att will take it back because its under the 30 days your allowed to return the product if you don't like it.

Classick

Bronze
Nov 21, 2007
Apple replaced my 3G a couple months ago because the microphone was busted.

Great company, imo.

Josh22

Aug 9, 2008
would a dead pixel be solid grounds for a replacement? if so, the closest Apple store to me is a couple hours away, so does anybody have any experience in how they do replacements through the mail? would it cost me anything and how quick is the process?

erhalt1

Bronze
Jul 10, 2008
My iPhone cracked down were the connection is for the plug.................it was very small and over a 3 day period it grew to about 2 inches. When i called to have it fixed they told me they would send out another by fedex and it didn't cost me. however I asked for a white one this time because when i get my iPhone 3gs my wife is getting this one. We thought 2 colors would help from getting confused. I got a black one anyway.

Feb 22, 2009
i have dust under my screen and im guessing that is a valid reason for a new one.

another question i had was is there any way i could upgrade to the new 3gs without paying a lot if any?