Apple replacing iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

fishert16

Sep 17, 2007
I was just wondering what will Apple replace the iPhone for. I mean what has to happen to your phone that constitutes them to replace it? I would like to hear who has had there phone replaced and what was wrong with it! The reason I ask is because there are a couple small problems with my phone and I was wondering if they will replace it? It randomly turns off (goes to lock screen) and also it has trouble connecting to edge sometimes! Thanks

PS: I have done two restores and it continues to have the same problems!

kcarr91

Bronze
Apr 14, 2007
i got my iPhone replaced b/c the big speaker broke (probably blow out it was really quiet)

went into the store no problem and they super helpful

firefighterjmar

Bronze
Jul 20, 2007
I was just wondering what will Apple replace the iPhone for. I mean what has to happen to your phone that constitutes them to replace it? I would like to hear who has had there phone replaced and what was wrong with it! The reason I ask is because there are a couple small problems with my phone and I was wondering if they will replace it? It randomly turns off (goes to lock screen) and also it has trouble connecting to edge sometimes! Thanks

PS: I have done two restores and it continues to have the same problems!
i got my iPhone replaced due to speaker volume and extreme static. to be honest it all probably depends on who you deal with. one person might be super helpful and replace while the other might not want to help so much and just send it in for repair. its the luck of the draw.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
i got my iPhone replaced due to speaker volume and extreme static. to be honest it all probably depends on who you deal with. one person might be super helpful and replace while the other might not want to help so much and just send it in for repair. its the luck of the draw.
yeah i see a lot of truth in that. and if someone isn't helpful, go to another store, or call tech-support.

fishert16

Sep 17, 2007
Ok well I am about 6 hours to the nearest Apple store, and was skeptical of the technical support getting my phone, assuming the charge for a loaner phone and all other charges they may want to throw in! Are u sure they will pay for a blown speaker? I read somewhere where people where talking about what they could do to there phone so that Apple would replace it, it was kind of interesting!

kcarr91

Bronze
Apr 14, 2007
Ok well I am about 6 hours to the nearest Apple store, and was skeptical of the technical support getting my phone, assuming the charge for a loaner phone and all other charges they may want to throw in! Are u sure they will pay for a blown speaker? I read somewhere where people where talking about what they could do to there phone so that Apple would replace it, it was kind of interesting!
hey when i got my iPhone replaced they just gave me a new one right there in the store no need for a loaner (lucky i live close to one)

call them and see maybe they send a replacement and you send the old one back (6 hrs is a little far to go and if they don't have any replacements in stock you may have to come back so maybe call the store if you go ahead of time to see if they have any replacements in stock)

i had a blown speaker and they replaced it no problem

PS they wipe everything so before you go sync it
and it did not cost me a dime to replace it

Sep 27, 2007
I've always found Apple to be very reasonable. If you present your case clearly, concisely, and with the supporting facts, they will generally do the right thing and replace it.

I purchased a new MacBook Pro on day one. Long story short, it was plagued with many problems. I called them, was courteous and patient when presenting my case and they replaced the computer without any hesitancy.

Remember, the iPhone is a very new device, in it's first generation form and thereforee some issues are not abnormal. If they are serious, the chances of Apple replacing it are very high.

Just remember that it's all in your approach. Kill em with kindness and you will get the same in return.

Good Luck......:)

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
While I agree with the other replies I'm not sure what you describe constitutes a defect, or is just "normal." If I am in a low signal area EDGE has a tendency to fail--I consider that normal.

As for crashing, I have not seen it go to the lock screen; it usually returns to the springboard if, say, Safari crashes (which does happen).

I would imagine if you take it to an Apple store they will compare it to known working iPhones. If yours acts differently than the working iPhones I don't think there will be any problem getting the iPhone exchanged.

If it doesn't act differently, you might have to press your case. The big thing to me would be whether they outright exchange it on-the-spot or offer to send it in for repair. At that point they may or may not offer you a free loaner (or they might say you need to pay for the loaner--I have seen all of these scenarios occur).

If it were me I would shoot for a direct replacement, assuming it really is defective. If that is a no-go I would try for the next best thing: sent in for repair with a free loaner.

--
Mike