Apple responsibility, lost in mail

Aug 28, 2007
if an iPhone gets lost in the mail, or stolen out of the box, on the way to Apple, is it my fault or are they supposed to reimburse me with a new phone?

i paid full price for a phone and i don't know what they can do so im worried.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
if an iPhone gets lost in the mail, or stolen out of the box, on the way to Apple, is it my fault or are they supposed to reimburse me with a new phone?

If you mailed it, then I'd say it's your responsibility. Whenever sending out phones, I usually insure them at the Post Office.

Aug 28, 2007
what if its not in the box when i receive the phone back from Apple

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
what if its not in the box when i receive the phone back from Apple
Apple most likely insures almost everything they send out, so if there's a loss during shipment, they'd file a claim with fedex, dhl, or whoever is used to ship it, and then work out something with you only after the claim was processed. the last time my husband had an issue with fedex shipping on insured items, he had to send them pictures of the damaged boxes and then the items themselves to clearly show the damage was related to mis-handling during shipping in order to support his claim.

does your fedex deliveryperson have sticky fingers such that you don't expect to get your iPhone back?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, if it's lost in transit, it's the carrier's fault... up to the point of whatever you insured it to.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Take some advice from an eBay power seller:

If you mail something to someone, then make sure you take out insurance, proof of mailing and delivery confirmation. Proof of mailing will be a receipt, keep it. If anything get's lost on its way to the second party, it's all on your back. It's not the second party's or delivery company's fault at all.

If you receive a package, it is your job to ensure everything inside was fine and in the condition that you expected it. When you sign the delivery note (or those pads that Fedex & UPS have), you are signing to say you are happy with the contents of the package and have inspected everything. If you sign without checking the contents, you won't have much to stand on.

I have mailed many items out to buyers (via ebay), who then contact me and tell me there was nothing in the box (typical scam). They kick up a stink with eBay and when the investigations starts, the buyer is always asked the same question by eBay: "Did you check the contents on the package before signing". If they say yes and still signed, then eBay will close the claim in my favor as it is deemed they admitted something was in the box when they signed for it. If there was nothing in the box, then they should have rejected the delivery. If they say no, then they lose again, as they should not have signed for anything, until checking the package goods.

In other words, DO NOT sign for anything until you have checked it. And make sure you take out insurance and signed delivery confirmation when you mail something out.

Cover your back! A few minutes of inconvenience now, will save a lot of grief later. Believe me, I went through all the nonsense when I first started selling on eBay.