Apple says I sent back an empty box

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
I received my Apple care loaner last week, sent mine back on Thursday, and Apple calls me this morning and says I sent them an empty box. I took my iPhone, the one I was sending in to FedEX, got a receipt and now this. Does anyone know what this process is. I absolutely cant pay one more penny fro this freaking phone. Can't they just easily see how much it weighed when I dropped it off by the tracking number? Has anyone else gone through this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I received my Apple care loaner last week, sent mine back on Thursday, and Apple calls me this morning and says I sent them an empty box. I took my iPhone, the one I was sending in to FedEX, got a receipt and now this. Does anyone know what this process is. I absolutely cant pay one more penny fro this freaking phone. Can't they just easily see how much it weighed when I dropped it off by the tracking number? Has anyone else gone through this?
Not that I have heard. I would tell them you will be contacting the authorities since if they are insisting they received an empty box, and you know that isn't what was shipped, a crime has occurred. Tell them you need names, and contact info for the authorities. I'd call FedEx too--hopefully you have a receipt or Web-shot showing the weight of the package.

It would be nice to have Apple confirm it was an "empty box" via email too. That way if they later claim it wasn't empty, but weighted down with something else, you can dispute it.

--
Mike

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Please give us some details of your trip to FedEx. Did you have the box wrapped and sealed when you shipped it?

When you shipped your package via FDX, you were billed based on the weight of the package and the distance it would travel...and if you bought insurance, you were billed for a rate per $100 of insurance.

FDX has what is called the PLD (at least that is what UPS calls it), or package level detail. That detail can tell where it was shipped, how much it weighed, how much revenue they collected, residential or businesss delivery, where it went on its journey to Apple, what hubs it hit, air or ground, what center it was delivered out of and based on the route, they should know the driver.

This was an issue with the Xbox 360s and DHL drivers as they learned what was going and coming back. They were at least smart enough to get them on the way back (when they were working again).

I would immediately call FDX and inform them you are calling the police and filing a report.

I worked for UPS for almost 10 years at their HQ and actually costed the movements of these pacakges. Let me know if I can help.

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
Thanks for the help! Here's the details. I received the Apple loaner phone on Wednesday the 3rd, I took the loaner out of the box and put mine in. Used the enclosed packing tape to seal the box and on the 4th took it to FedEx, it wouldn't have even occurred to me to take a pic of the weight. I do have the tracking number, I got a receipt when I dropped it off. Apple has started an investigation to find it. I'm going after work to speak to the Manager at the FedEx store where it was sent. And all my e mails address' and everything was on that phone, they wanted me to send it as is so they could verify what was wrong. I even rubber-banded a huge note outlining what was wrong with the phone so the repair tech would be informed.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
wow. Then this is more than a missing phone... Your personal info has been compromised. Good luck man.

By the way, i would bet the only reason they asked you to send your phone "as is" was to see if you had installed mods. Not that many people would be oblivious enough to send their iPhones in with mods still installed.

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
Well, my note was kind in nature, thanked whoever was going to work on it, and not angry at all, just some points written out that were the issue with a thanks.

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the help! Here's the details. I received the Apple loaner phone on Wednesday the 3rd, I took the loaner out of the box and put mine in. Used the enclosed packing tape to seal the box and on the 4th took it to FedEx, it wouldn't have even occurred to me to take a pic of the weight. I do have the tracking number, I got a receipt when I dropped it off. Apple has started an investigation to find it. I'm going after work to speak to the Manager at the FedEx store where it was sent. And all my e mails address' and everything was on that phone, they wanted me to send it as is so they could verify what was wrong. I even rubber-banded a huge note outlining what was wrong with the phone so the repair tech would be informed.
Keep that receipt close. Based on the tracking # they can tell basically everything about the package. The weight may even be on the receipt. Be polite with the FedEx Manager but be firm that you are about to contact the police as you are losing precious time. I would not wait more than a couple of days honestly to file the report. Let us know what the FedEx Manager says and get his name.

jeffp

Jul 9, 2007
If they weighed the package, the weight should match what an iPhone in a shipping container should weigh. Apple should be able to see that once Fedex accepts it, you could not have removed the phone from the packaging. I can't imagine that they don't know what the weight of the package would be the iPhone inside. Apple ships them out enough to know that your weighed package is different then an empty box.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
furthermore, if you used Apple's provided tape, they should be able to tell if it was opened after you packaged it.

I'd say you have a lot of firepower to work with. Use all of it.

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
So I went to the FedEx store where I shiped my phone with the receipt, eight hours after Apple called me, and low and behold, Apple hadn't even filed a claim with my tracking number! The manger got all my information, made a copy of the receipt, and I'm going back by to see her tomorrow after work. I absolutetly can't believe they hadn't even filed a claim yet. I was so angry I called the nearest Apple Store to speak to a manager, and was told this was nothing a store manager could help me with, and wasn't even able to speak to member of management. Is this how Apple has done so well? I know the store manager can't do anything, but what I would like is at least someone in Apple to say "I'm sorry you've had a horrible experience with our company, let me see how I can help." This is the last of a long series of extreme disappoints that I've had since getting the iPhone. I was seriously considering getting an imac, but if having a phone with them is this difficult, I can only imagine what hell having an Apple computer must be.

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
So I went to the FedEx store where I shiped my phone with the receipt, eight hours after Apple called me, and low and behold, Apple hadn't even filed a claim with my tracking number! The manger got all my information, made a copy of the receipt, and I'm going back by to see her tomorrow after work. I absolutetly can't believe they hadn't even filed a claim yet. I was so angry I called the nearest Apple Store to speak to a manager, and was told this was nothing a store manager could help me with, and wasn't even able to speak to member of management. Is this how Apple has done so well? I know the store manager can't do anything, but what I would like is at least someone in Apple to say "I'm sorry you've had a horrible experience with our company, let me see how I can help." This is the last of a long series of extreme disappoints that I've had since getting the iPhone. I was seriously considering getting an imac, but if having a phone with them is this difficult, I can only imagine what hell having an Apple computer must be.
I have temporarily given up on the iPhone until Steve gets over himself but love my Mac.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
DHL do this all the time

I have had this happen to me all the time with DHL. They are well known to steal the contents of packages. I have filed numerous charges with the police and each time they have prosecuted the delivery driver. I wasn't aware that Fedex were also using these criminal practices? But I guess they are all human at the end of the day.

If you're earning minimum wage, delivering expensive products around. I'm sure even the most honest of people would be tempted to look in the box and take what he/she fancies.

Make sure you contact the police and make a report. Once the police get involved, the delivery companies soon back down and "mysteriously" find your items. Amazing how that happens.

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
Well, I went back to the FedEx store and the manager told me I had to wait 10 days until I could file a claim! I asked for the number to their claims department, and after explaining that my next stop was to file a police report, they got the ball moving. I'm still a bit angry that on day 2 still Apple has not filed a claim with them from their end. I called Apple and give them the claim reference number, and they told me they had to get their own claim number! After work I'm going to file a Police Report. Thanks for everyone who has helped me out here! I'll keep you posted!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
maybe FedEx is making Apple wait 10 days to file a claim like they told you.

I'm not an apologist or anything, but it sounds like something that would happen in an interaction between two bureaucracies.

Maahu

Bronze
Sep 19, 2007
Glad to hear the threat of going to the police finally put things in motion. Telling them you're going to the press, or to a local TV news consumer advocate is also effective. I always thought the 10 days was for a package that went missing, not when the contents were clearly swiped. That's a lot of time for a thief to hear about something, and get rid of the evidence.

About the Apple store manager, maybe they can't actually do something, as in officially contact Fedex, file a claim, etc., but it's certainly within their power to act as an advocate for you, their customer and to lobby Apple CS to get on the ball. Anyone see that Dateline episode where they left iPods where they could be boosted? Dateline was able to track down the thieves using the iPod serial numbers... but Apple says there's no way that Apple can do this. What a joke -- it's more of a "we don't want to do this" than a "we can't do this."

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
So last night I did go and file a police report, and then I finally was able to speak to a member of management who listened. I explained my whole Apple experience from beginning to end, (I purchased the phone 2 weeks and 1 day before they slashed the price, still a little bitter about that), anyway, he is going to be my direct contact on this moving forward. He said they had started their own investigation, and even attempted speaking to the driver of the truck. So I'm a little anxious to see how it turns out. He said he would be about 7-10 days before it was completed.

Aug 28, 2007
Los Angeles
www.myspace.com
I have a friend that works for UPS, that says that some guy from his job was selling iPhones for $100 back when they were $600, he told me that guy would take them from the box - they already knew what they looked like. I would not be surprised if they stole yours too.:mad:

robby69

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
I have a friend that works for UPS, that says that some guy from his job was selling iPhones for $100 back when they were $600, he told me that guy would take them from the box - they already knew what they looked like. I would not be surprised if they stole yours too.:mad:
If you didn't insure it, you will be lucky if you get $100 out of fedex. Also, the claim always needs to be made by the shipper. They only involve the receiver to contact them to pick up the damaged item for salvage, or in this case.. empty box. If I insured it, I would concentrate my efforts on getting them to pay the full insured amount. Getting the police or media involved IMO, is a waste of time.
Alot of times, these shipping places have a backup insurance program, if fedex denies the claim they can file with it. But if you did not insure it above $100 your are SOL