Apple SDK prevents turn-by-turn directions with GPS

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/06/11/iPhone.sdk..gps.nav/

It would appear that Apple is contractually prohibiting developers like TomTom from developing turn-by-turn GPS software for the iPhone 3G. This is a new change to the SDK agreement and may be why originally TomTom announced plans to offer software for the iPhone 3G.

Apple has not announced any plans to offer turn-by-turn support to the iPhone 3G so its left people wondering what Apple is up to. Is it to cover themselves legally (so people don't try to drive and navigate with their phones and sue Apple when they have an accident?) or is it because they have something in the works? If they have something in the works, why would they prevent others from offering competing software? They aren't preventing people from making improved mail applications or browsers... so why GPS turn-by-turn support?

Humm.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
This was posted. I'm sticking by my theory they have contractually agreed the rights of a turn-by-turn app to a large developer (preventing competition from those willing to sell a turn-by-turn app for cheap).

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Something will show up in Installer, you know it. Plus Google maps already has turn-by-turn, just not voice guided turn-by-turn. When I first got my GPS, I was way excited about the voice guidance. But you know what? I never use the voice, just the turn by turn. It's just too easy to just glance at the screen to see how far along you are and where the next turn is. Believe me, the voice is not worth how much they are going to charge you. I bet Tom Tom or Garmin will charge like $75 for the software.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Something will show up in Installer, you know it. Plus Google maps already has turn-by-turn, just not voice guided turn-by-turn. When I first got my GPS, I was way excited about the voice guidance. But you know what? I never use the voice, just the turn by turn. It's just too easy to just glance at the screen to see how far along you are and where the next turn is. Believe me, the voice is not worth how much they are going to charge you. I bet Tom Tom or Garmin will charge like $75 for the software.
Never had GPS, but often thought that voice would be very annoying after awhile. I'm like you, seems like looking at the screen is better. I mean how can you play music and have that thing yacking at you every 50 feet.:laugh2:

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Google Maps doesn't have turn-by-turn, at least I can't find that functionality on my iPhone. It shows you a course, but it doesn't textually show you "turn right in 300ft" type directions. Or it doesn't tell you "the next intersection is golf and randolph". If you don't follow the course, it won't say "turn right in 900ft" and try to get you back on course. That's turn-by-turn. If they already had it, TomTom wouldn't have said they were developing turn-by-turn for the 3G.

What you have right now is real-time tracking and the ability to plot a course (with 3G).

It would be nice if they have made a deal with a vendor like TomTom or Garmin... but there's no news on that.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Never had GPS, but often thought that voice would be very annoying after awhile. I'm like you, seems like looking at the screen is better. I mean how can you play music and have that thing yacking at you every 50 feet.:laugh2:
I know, after a while you think, I'm not a baby I know I'm supposed to be turning soon!

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Google Maps doesn't have turn-by-turn, at least I can't find that functionality on my iPhone. It shows you a course, but it doesn't textually show you "turn right in 300ft" type directions. Or it doesn't tell you "the next intersection is golf and randolph". If you don't follow the course, it won't say "turn right in 900ft" and try to get you back on course. That's turn-by-turn. If they already had it, TomTom wouldn't have said they were developing turn-by-turn for the 3G.

What you have right now is real-time tracking and the ability to plot a course (with 3G).

It would be nice if they have made a deal with a vendor like TomTom or Garmin... but there's no news on that.
I'm a little confused. Are you referring to the current iPhone or iPhone 3G? Right now Maps tells me from turn to turn how far the next turn is. Why wouldn't the GPS-enabled Maps update that distance based on my current location? Or have you read or seen somewhere that says otherwise? It seems like a no-brainer to me.

Additionally, if I miss my turn I can get my current location and re-route the course to get back on track, including distance to my next turn from my current location.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
It shows you where to turn, but since the current implementation of Google Maps in the original iPhone doesn't follow you in real time, it can't tell you to "turn left in xxx ft." and update it as you move along. That's what turn-by-turn directions means.

Popdevil

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I know, after a while you think, I'm not a baby I know I'm supposed to be turning soon!

Turn by Turn voice is great. I love my OLD pocketpc with built in GPS. None of us need to be looking at the screen. (a lot of times during the day you can't see the screen anyways). I also like the bread crumbs mine leaves so I have a way back which is nice.

My OLD pocketpc is like 5 year or older and is more advanced then the iPhone 3G will ever be.

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
im so confused about this GPS

first off, if we MISS a turn, do you think this GPS will reroute you to keep you on track to your destination?

second, what if your route is reallly long.. which means that to view the whole, the screen will be zoomed alll the way out making streen names practically unreadable... i wonder if the gps will move the screen as your little dot moves.. so when you look down, you can easily see where your next turn is and be able to read the street

i hate this speculation, i just want it in my hands.. so i can see what this gps is really all about

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
im so confused about this GPS

first off, if we MISS a turn, do you think this GPS will reroute you to keep you on track to your destination?

second, what if your route is reallly long.. which means that to view the whole, the screen will be zoomed alll the way out making streen names practically unreadable... i wonder if the gps will move the screen as your little dot moves.. so when you look down, you can easily see where your next turn is and be able to read the street

i hate this speculation, i just want it in my hands.. so i can see what this gps is really all about
If TomTom is writing an application for the 3G phone, then chances are, it'll re-route you if you get off its route since that's how most GPS routers work. The street names in the turn-by-turn directions will be displayed in a list format in a different window, not neccessarily on the map itself so longer routes won't be any different than shorter ones...just that the list of turns may be longer.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Has anyone ever use Google Maps with GPS on another device? I have... here's how it works: Exactly like it does without GPS, only you get a blue dot that moves. When you pass a point in the directions, they would not auto-advance... you had to manually do it just like with no GPS. If you went off track, you would have to manually "reroute from current position".

Here's hoping Google ups the ante just a bit for the iPhone, but this is how it's been in the past. Now, granted, I haven't used Google Maps for my WM phone since getting the iPhone, so they may have updated it.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Has anyone ever use Google Maps with GPS on another device? I have... here's how it works: Exactly like it does without GPS, only you get a blue dot that moves. When you pass a point in the directions, they would not auto-advance... you had to manually do it just like with no GPS. If you went off track, you would have to manually "reroute from current position".

Here's hoping Google ups the ante just a bit for the iPhone, but this is how it's been in the past. Now, granted, I haven't used Google Maps for my WM phone since getting the iPhone, so they may have updated it.
yeah, that's how the google maps app works on my N95. To me I find it pretty useless other than looking up an address and finding where you are as a reference point. I find it even more useless in the current iPhone as the current iPhone just gives a broad idea of where your location is.

I have Garmin Mobile XT on the N95 and it works wonderfully, just like it does on my Nuvi. It would be great to see that on the 3g iPhone. However, I'm not sure even if Apple didn't have such a tight grip that Garmin would wanna develop an app for the iPhone. With the Nuvi coming out as a competitor I see them cutting back on the number of mobile apps they offer. However, there is no reason Apple should hold TomTom back. The only thing I can think is they made a deal with Google or someone else and are restricting competition and thereby screwing us consumers. Either that or they have something else in the works and don't want competition on their device.

All of the freakin limits imposed by Apple and AT&T are really getting to annoy me. I love the iPhone and can even live without copy/paste and a crappy camera, but Apple dictating every little thing we can put on our phones is downright ridiculous. Restricting competition and increasing the end cost to the consumer is ridiculous.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I agree, that is not cool. But shouldn't we wait to see what actually is made available? I'm going to wait to bash Apple when I actually see what is being restricted.

kneshoba

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
What ever happened to pulling up to a gas station or to a stranger on the side of the road and asking for directions?

This is just me. I drive about 1200 miles a week to different locations in my state. I use the google maps and i find it an excellent tool to have. There was no reason to buy a TOM TOM or a garmin etc. But this is just me.

As far as GPS is concerned I think maybe a big company like Tom Tom has payed for exclusivity, but who knows I'll will wait until the app store opens.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah somehow I feel that if I need more than the current Google Maps and triangulation to get around, I'm really regressing as a species. Again, just me. I like to challenge myself.

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
i already have a Tom Tom
i don't want gps on my iPhone
it will never be as good as a tom tom
it is just their so the government can track your every move
now you are going to have a gps on you at all times
it makes me sick just thinking about it

aggieman

Zealot
Gold