Apple sells one million iPhones in 74 days

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

JOLLYWOG

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Wow! That's about 13,500 phones sold per day. Wait..that can't be right..can it?

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/14840/

Apple sells one million iPhones in 74 days
Monday, September 10, 2007 - 08:33 AM EDT

Apple today announced it sold its one millionth iPhone yesterday, just 74 days after its introduction on June 29. iPhone combines three devices into one-a mobile phone, a widescreen iPod, and the best mobile Internet device ever-all based on Apple's revolutionary multi-touch interface and pioneering software that allows users to control iPhone with just a tap, flick or pinch of their fingers.

"One million iPhones in 74 days-it took almost two years to achieve this milestone with iPod," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO, in the press release. "We can't wait to get this revolutionary product into the hands of even more customers this holiday season."

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning computers, OS X operating system and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital media revolution with its iPod portable music and video players and iTunes online store, and has entered the mobile phone market this year with its revolutionary iPhone.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Wow! That's about 13,500 phones sold per day. Wait..that can't be right..can it?
Figure about 500,000 the first three days, because of six months of hype and pent up demand.

Then about five phones per Apple store per day, thereafter.

(The latter number temporarily rising lately with the price cuts.)

JOLLYWOG

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
damn that's a lot of iPhones , thanks for the news
Sure thing.

You know that has me wondering...Steve Jobs said Apple's target was 1M iPhones by the end of this month..right...so did he actually think it would take that long or did he know that the price cut would "spike" the numbers and get them to that goal much faster. 21 days faster in fact.

That being the case, I wonder how many phones they actually sold in that 5 day period from the time the price cut was announced on the 5th to today.

krossmusic

Bronze
Aug 29, 2007
New York City
Sure thing.

You know that has me wondering...Steve Jobs said Apple's target was 1M iPhones by the end of this month..right...so did he actually think it would take that long or did he know that the price cut would "spike" the numbers and get them to that goal much faster. 21 days faster in fact.

That being the case, I wonder how many phones they actually sold in that 5 day period from the time the price cut was announced on the 5th to today.
I'm sure they knew their buy estimates...when Job's said end of the month he's being smart...they knew they were close(they didn't sell like 200k in 5 days ya know?) and so he said something like end of the month. It makes it "LOOK BETTER TO THE MARKET" that he hit it mid-month when he said late month. Basic market tactic. Remeber this, the industry wanted some like retarted number 1 min in the first month or week or something like this. Apple said 10 mill by 09 1 mil around sept. So really the phone is doing great in sales.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Figure about 500,000 the first three days, because of six months of hype and pent up demand.

Then about five phones per Apple store per day, thereafter.

(The latter number temporarily rising lately with the price cuts.)

Actually they released the average stores sales for iPhones.....if I remember correctly it was something like 21 per week on average for ATT stores and about 21 per day for Apple stores.

That half a million mark for the first three days is WAY off.......

up10ad

Genius
Gold
Aug 1, 2007
Fruita , CO
up10ad.com
So, if we quess that Apple sold only 750,000 of them before the price drop, this means that Apple's 'store credit' will amount to somewhere in excess of $75,000,000 (seventy-five million). Even considering that the credit may result in the sale of additional products that might not otherwise have been sold, that is a big chunk of cash!

krossmusic

Bronze
Aug 29, 2007
New York City
So, if we quess that Apple sold only 750,000 of them before the price drop, this means that Apple's 'store credit' will amount to somewhere in excess of $75,000,000 (seventy-five million). Even considering that the credit may result in the sale of additional products that might not otherwise have been sold, that is a big chunk of cash!
Right, but it's not "REAL" money on the books. There not losing anything really.

up10ad

Genius
Gold
Aug 1, 2007
Fruita , CO
up10ad.com
What they are losing is often even more precious to them than cash, they are giving up revenue; a major part of their stock valuation. That $75MM (or whatever it actually is) is money that never hits their bottom line. My use of the word 'cash' was not meant to be taken literally, and was probably a poor choice of words. They certainly are not spending any money to do the deal. They are going to be taking a $75MM hit on their books, and it will be reflected in their 10Qs and other financial statements. However, I doubt the analysts or anyone else will make anything of it from a financial perspective.

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
your number is arbitrary...and while $75M seems like a lot...it is immaterial to a company the size of Apple.

Off the top of my head, their significant materiality threshold would be in the neighborhood of $150M.

For a company that does $23-25 BILLION in revenue a year...$75M is a piss in the bucket.

up10ad

Genius
Gold
Aug 1, 2007
Fruita , CO
up10ad.com
your number is arbitrary...and while $75M seems like a lot...it is immaterial to a company the size of Apple.

Off the top of my head, their significant materiality threshold would be in the neighborhood of $150M.

For a company that does $23-25 BILLION in revenue a year...$75M is a piss in the bucket.
Agreed. I suspect you are right, and I fully acknowledge that the $75MM number was arbitrary. My intent was mainly to comment on the size of the number, at least from our humble personal perspectives :eek:.

el31415

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
How many will not apply or use their "store credit"
And much is the $100 credit really worth in cash $25 may be $35
and since many will end up spending more than the $100 credit
I'm almost sure Apple will ending make even more money out of this
And don't worry the $100 credit store was well planed it isn't a randome or good looking number

JOLLYWOG

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
How many will not apply or use their "store credit"
And much is the $100 credit really worth in cash $25 may be $35
and since many will end up spending more than the $100 credit
I'm almost sure Apple will ending make even more money out of this
And don't worry the $100 credit store was well planed it isn't a randome or good looking number
I'm definitely going to use my store credit. I bought two phones initially and hope to get back that $200. I'll probably just use it for various peripherals like the Composite AV Cable since I don't have Apple TV.