Apple should allow changeable battery

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by hmfc-1874, Jul 2, 2014.

1. hmfc-1874

hmfc-1874 Contributor
    Silver

The one thing I have missed since owning a smart phone is to be able to Unclip the back and change the battery.
    Will Apple ever add this feature?
    I know it's possible to open up the phone and mess about inside the phone and change the battery but it can be a tricky game to do and if your in a hurry you don't want to faff about with the battery.

Would you like this feature implemented?

Can a mod/admin add a poll with if people who miss this feature ?

Thanks

2. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I for one, am glad iPhones are hermetically sealed. Adds to the build quality, IMHO.
    If there is need to change my iPhone battery, there is a serious issue that should be covered under warranty.

#2 snowtrooper1966, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

And there's no need to remove the battery to reboot the iPhone. I had to do that with dumb flip phones that would freeze up.

4. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I have power cases that add life to the battery. Most people put cases on the iPhone anyway. Might as well have an extra battery in the case.

5. hmfc-1874

hmfc-1874 Contributor
    Silver

The problem with the cases are they are big and bulky though.

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It's no problem for me. I like the feel of my Otterbox Defender on my phone. There's more to grab on to while doing touch screen photo work. And not all are big and bulky. Even Otterbox has one that's sleek.

7. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I'd rather they upped the volume of the built in speaker so I can hear the damn thing ring when I get a call anywhere that is noisier than a cemetery at midnight. It would be great if it were as loud as my old Motorola Q, now that phone could wake the dead and in stereo to boot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

Personally for me, no phone (smart or otherwise) with a removable battery has felt as solidly built as either iPhone I have owned (3 and 5). I have my phone charging when I am in my car and I have external batteries that I use if I will be away from power or my car for extended periods and need to have a backup power source. In addition, as noted above I have a case on my phone so that would just be one more thing to open/close in the process. Not knocking anyone who likes a removable battery but it is not a priority for me.

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Try going to accessibility>hearing aids> toggle on "hearing aid mode". My wife's 5c volume was very low. She has excellent hearing. But she could barely hear it. Turning on hearing aid mode bumped up the volume significantly. I tried it on my 5, and my volume improved. I agree the iPhone volume is generally too low compared to other platforms. But try toggling on "hearing aid mode". It worked for us.
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1404400398.668841.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

I'm glad there's no removable battery. Like others said I remember the blackberries and other phones where a battery was required for a reset.

I have a battery case and for lengthened times away from home I have a 20,000 mAh battery station in my go bag.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I agree with everyone who has commented on the higher build quality that goes along with it having a non-removable battery. iPhone batteries tend to last several years. I've never needed to have one replaced. I don't want to deal with the bulk of a battery case, so I just carry a small, portable battery charger. It isn't much bigger than an extra battery would be.

#11 Europa, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  12. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

I like my Ibattz. It's huge but can power all my devices. I honestly hardly ever need my battery case. In the past year I've turned it on a total of 3-4 times, and all those times were when my aircraft was weathered in for an extended period of time. It's like insurance: it's there but is rarely needed.

13. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

Unfortunately my battery on my iPhone 4 died out of nowhere and I hadn't backed up my phone for a few weeks and wound up losing tons of stuff. It wouldn't even charge or turn on when plugged in. It was a known issue reported by users online at the time. I actually considered swapping it out myself but then thought if I messed it up I wouldn't even have warranty. I lost all my images from the Boxing Day blizzard and other stuff. I would have killed for a swappable battery at that time.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It was pretty simple to change the battery in the 4/4S with the removable backplate, but you would run the risk of voiding the warranty. Why would you even consider paying for a new battery when Apple would pay 100% of the cost of repairs or hardware replacements since it was still under warranty? Also, at the time you couldn't be certain that the battery was the problem so it could have potentially been a needless part. Swapping the battery doesn't wipe the memory. It sounds like there was something else wrong with the phone in addition to a bad battery. Maybe something fried the battery and wiped the memory such as a power surge?

15. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

I considered doing the battery swap myself because when you go to the Apple store with a problem the solution to all ills plaguing your iPhone is to swap it out for another one.

Of course I knew swapping the battery wouldn't have wiped the memory, that's why I considered doing it myself! So that way I wouldn't just be given some refurb from the Apple store and then never having a chance at recovering my stuff.

I remember researching the problem online at the time and people with similar issues had deduced that it was a bad battery. I should have just given it a shot because it's not like they would have pried it open to see if I tried to switch it myself before giving me a replacement. But alas, I chickened out.