Apple should have an iPhone voip service

Jan 10, 2007
Apple already have iTunes for people to buy music so why doesn't Apple have their own voip service so iPhone users can make cheap calls? It could be provided in a firmware update.

Jan 16, 2008
NY
I don't know that AT&T would like that very much.

The phone still requires AT&T and the price is set, so how does adding VOIP threaten them? I'd love it, because I have wifi and bad cell reception at home.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
The phone still requires AT&T and the price is set, so how does adding VOIP threaten them? I'd love it, because I have wifi and bad cell reception at home.
Sure the price is set, but it would still reduce potential revenue from Apple's businesss partner.

coal0101

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
it would impact the bottom line

Everyone would go with the cheapest minute option if they had VOIP. Why would anyone pay for 900/1500/ etc when you could just use VOIP with no impact to minutes. Also, ATT would miss out on overage charges. I think widespread VOIP over wireless will come, but say goodbye to unlim data.