Apple Smart Case or Lifeproof fre

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

radtechy

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 20, 2011
They both do the same with sleeping and waking the iPad when you buy the lid for the life proof.

Cost is not a factor. I think the life proof added so much weight. It's still not as fat as an otterbox defender.

I'm not going near water with it ever I have Apple care plus for accidents etc.

So should I get the smart case? Will it take off some weight? I know it will be slightly thicker than the mini itself.

Any and all opinions will be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm really happy with my Apple Smart case on my iPad. I don't need it to be waterproof. Here's a mini review I did on it:

europa said:
I decided I wanted a full case, so I just returned my light grey Smart Cover and got a black Apple Smart Case for my rMini. This case is really nice - I love it!

Pros:
•Genuine leather
•Perfect fit
•Unobtrusive lip
•The openings for the ports, noise-canceling mic and camera openings are all perfectly placed
•Lightweight and not too bulky
•No flaps or clips to get in the way during usage
•Magnets/wakes on open

Cons:
•Cost
•Doesn't appear that it will be super stable when propped up in video mode

It's expensive, but I'm really happy with this case. The black looks really classy on the space grey iPad mini. I wanted a high-quality, moderately protective, lightweight case with a perfect fit. This was exactly what I was looking for.

9/10

radtechy

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 20, 2011
I agree with the points you mentioned. I was just at the store and found a speck fit folio for 35 and looks like it would be similar to the smart cover

radtechy

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 20, 2011
I ended up getting the brown Smart Cover.

Nice and skinny keeps the device small

mrbunglez

Zealot
Bronze
Mar 20, 2008
I actually have the old LifeProof fre on my iPad rMini. Doesn't add too much thickness or weight, and I have the Smart Cover you can purchase separately which works great. Actually waiting for the LP nuud for the iPad rMini.

radtechy

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 20, 2011
So far the Smart Cover is

The sleep/wake is better than the lifeproof was, its lighter, and I love how you can easily grab the side to open the flap

mrbunglez

Zealot
Bronze
Mar 20, 2008

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
I got my iPad Mini Smart Case recently at a Best Buy store near my house. Cost deterred me for awhile. I found a case at the location that was marked down to 56.99 cause it was already opened. Took it home and luck of the draw no scratches/imperfections at all. It was simply an "opened" package nothing more. I'm glad I picked it up its a really nice case.

My logic is my iPad mini cost a good chunk of change. Maybe I shouldn't aim so hard for a cheap case on my 2nd most expensive toy.