Apple Special Event -- iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3 -- 10/16/2014

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Did you notice how Apple kind of glossed over the iPad Mini 3? They barely gave it a mention, probably because there was very little upgraded. Their main focus was on the iPad Air 2. Once again it is the 'Apple ploy', give little upgrade to the cheaper model but a huge upgrade to the more expensive model. It is the same ploy as offering the 16 GB version of their products but then jumping to the 64 GB for profit margins.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You are correct. I guess if you want to use Apple Pay with your tablet you can go this route. I really see no reason to upgrade though (unless you need the storage).
My bank doesn't support Apple Pay yet. I think I'll stick with my Retina mini 1. I would use my phone for that 99% of the time anyway.
Did you notice how Apple kind of glossed over the iPad Mini 3? They barely gave it a mention, probably because there was very little upgraded. Their main focus was on the iPad Air 2. Once again it is the 'Apple ploy', give little upgrade to the cheaper model but a huge upgrade to the more expensive model. It is the same ploy as offering the 16 GB version of their products but then jumping to the 64 GB for profit margins.
Yep. Not a lot of incentive to upgrade to a new mini. The combination of a smaller market now that there's a 6 Plus and Apple failing to add significant upgrades to this model is going to result in lower sales this year.

I'm just glad it wasn't worse than it is with the iPhone 6. It would be nice to have better battery life and optical image stablization but they aren't deal breakers for most people and there were still plenty of reasons to upgrade to a 6.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
For those who missed the event, the entire event can be seen here.

Last edited:

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
My bank doesn't support Apple Pay yet. I think I'll stick with my Retina mini 1. I would use my phone for that 99% of the time anyway.

Yep. Not a lot of incentive to upgrade to a new mini. The combination of a smaller market now that there's a 6 Plus and Apple failing to add significant upgrades to this model is going to result in lower sales this year.

I'm just glad it wasn't worse than it is with the iPhone 6. It would be nice to have better battery life and optical image stablization but they aren't deal breakers for most people and there were still plenty of reasons to upgrade to a 6.
I agree. The iPhone 6 was still a huge upgrade with not that much differentiation between the Plus. I was rather stunned they didn't add an A8 chip to the iPad Mini 3.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I agree. The iPhone 6 was still a huge upgrade with not that much differentiation between the Plus. I was rather stunned they didn't add an A8 chip to the iPad Mini 3.
The 6 Plus is canalbalizing the mini and Apple decided to help it along by failing to upgrade it. They might end up phasing it out. And if they don't, it will always be two steps behind the the iPad Air. I preferred a 4" screen phone and a mini iPad, but you can't get either of those anymore if you want the latest specs. They might as well say Go big or stagnate.

radtechy

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 20, 2011
It's the way Apple plays the marketing game. Getting people to splurge the extra 100 for double the storage cause they can't help themselves and forcing us into products. And we all fall for it. But I enjoy the stuff they make and how it works simply and uniform together

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
It's the way Apple plays the marketing game. Getting people to splurge the extra 100 for double the storage cause they can't help themselves and forcing us into products. And we all fall for it. But I enjoy the stuff they make and how it works simply and uniform together
I bought the 128GB iPhone 6 Plus. Before I hit the submit button, I did a quick look around. Didn't see anyone holding a gun to my head, though. :)

radtechy

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 20, 2011
I got the 128 just cause they had those in stock and I wanted it. I just couldn't help myself

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
considering the mini 2 as an upgrade to my gen 4 iPod Touch.

also. there can't be a bendgate on the 3 unless the Touch ID creates a weak point.

Sent from my Oneplus One

fandrade2006

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
So should I consider the new iPad Air2? I have third generation iPad and now its sluggish with iOS 8. It's really annoying but aside that it's still in excellent condition and works fine.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
is this a same scale comparison of the two devices?
uploadfromtaptalk1413792106886.jpg

Sent from my Oneplus One