Apple store employee says release time will be 6:00 pm on 7/11

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
so, i was at an Apple store today since my universal dock was acting up (no video output from my iPhone and everything i tried pointed to a defective dock), and i asked a genius if they had any details on the 3G iPhone release time, and he said they just learned it was going to be at 6:00 pm, just like the first release, on 7/11. i neglected to ask him if they were going to close down the store for 2 hours beforehand like the last time. i did ask him if they will let people line up, and he said that's up to the mall management in terms of how they'll handle it.

of course, i take this with a grain of salt until there's an official announcement from Apple, but just thought i'd pass this on for those who are planning on getting one on release day (like me!)... :)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
That's retarded. I mean, I believe you, but why would they do that? What purpose does it serve?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Was that supposed to be the kind of question that is actually an answer? Cause it isn't.... cause I don't know why they did it last year either! :)

jeremymobile

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I was told the time delay was due to system upgrades to AT&T. This time the orig release date was delayed due to the 3G network not working in many locations. I was told this by a AT&T high up.
Also the phone did not go out to most of the stores until the day of the release. There are already stores that have the phones.

If they have the upgrades done, and since it will not be sold online....
I don't see any reason why the would not release it at the start of the day.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I expected it to be so. Gives them some time to prepare, etc. Same as last year is fine with me.

- John

Webby

Jun 5, 2008
6pm? UGH! I was looking forward to getting the iPhone at around 12:30 during my lunch hour. GRRRR Now I have to sit and wait one whole hour after work in order to get my iPhone. :(

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Closing the store 2 hours before gives them time to get a drink or two before all hell breaks loose.:)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
So they have... how many hours? To activate.... how many phones? I'm sorry, this seems like a bad idea to me.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
I agree with psylichon's question/statement. It seems illogical to open so late when they will have to activate so many phones. I saw one article (MacRumors i think) that said existing iPhone owners looking to renew might be separated into a different line, asked for their new iPhone's IMEI number (once they buy it) and then let them activate it from home so it will go faster, but it wouldn't make it go by much faster.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
So they have... how many hours? To activate.... how many phones? I'm sorry, this seems like a bad idea to me.
Exactly. I reckon as this is all due to happen on a Friday afternoon/ evening, waiting for the Saturday and maybe finding a smaller AT&T store seems like possibly a good bet ...

kunfuzious

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Boulder
Next week the stores will have to put in their requests to close for two hours (at least at the properties they have stores at in our portfolio- I don't know how other developers handle it) should they choose to do so this time around. They would also have to submit any info on crowds expected should they want to people to line up before hand. I'm sure more answers will come next week on their launch "festivities".

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
maybe finding a smaller AT&T store seems like possibly a good bet ...
As I said in a post in another thread, it is probably more fun to go to an Apple Store but I think ATT will be quicker. If for no other reason, there are more of them in most cities. This will spread things out. Most places that are lucky to have an Apple Store just have one.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
As I said in a post in another thread, it is probably more fun to go to an Apple Store but I think ATT will be quicker. If for no other reason, there are more of them in most cities. This will spread things out. Most places that are lucky to have an Apple Store just have one.
Yup. In Austin we just have one Apple Store within a fairly large mall which, in my experience, is nearly always packed. On the other hand, I can think of two small to mid-sized AT&T stores within around 5 miles of my house that I imagine / hope may not be too overrun on the launch day / day after ...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
This is a good point, especially with stores in cities like New York that will be jammed.

Despite that, I don't worry because i know the Charleston AT&T store won't be too busy.

- John

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
This is annoying, i get out of work at 3:00 and i work rite next to the Apple store ..
what am i supposed to do with those 3 extra hours?
Suggestions?