Apple store employee says release time will be 6:00 pm on 7/11

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I'm not angry with him. Just because I'm not angry with him doesn't mean I can't say why I think the reasons he listed are terrible reasons.

I know he's not the decision-maker.

Whether he's the decision-maker or not has no impact on whether or not I agree with that release time or whether or not I want to voice my opinion.

I'm not taking anything out on him. Until I hear an official release from Apple, I'm not even going to believe it.
I have to agree with Macgirl - maybe not your intention, but you came off sounding quite harsh towards a guy who just seemed to be trying to be helpful on this topic.

Having said that, I also agree with you that nearly all of the approach supposedly to be taken on the 11th seems very senseless. I just don't see any good reasons for waiting / wasting nearly the entire day before putting the new phone on sale, for leaving 'setup' or whatever other prep until the very last moment at 4:00 on that day, and so on ...

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
Not better, eh? So, you don't consider faster speeds, GPS, new design, flush jack, better audio, and better battery life and better iPhone? Not sure where you're coming from.

- John
There are differences, but at initial release, not all are good.

Faster Speed: Great!
GPS: Yawn, it won't replace a dedicated GPS with a screen big enough to look at while driving.
New design: Are you serious? It's thicker. and otherwise the same.
Flush jack: again, yawn. I like the reset jack. I just trimmed my headphone plugs with an xacto.
Better Audio: Who says? Have you heard it?
Better battery Life: Great!
But that's not really a life changing feature.
Better iPhone: Self actuating prophecy? Not sure the purpose of that statement.

Costs more: Bad
Won't be jailbroken stabilty at first: Bad
Can't be used as a modem for laptop: Bad

And I'm skipping unlocking and using on the network of your choice.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE fan. I bought my v1 iPhone 2 months ago, full well planning on upgrading when the new one came out. Also, I know that the initial jail break issues will be resolved at some point in the future. There will probably be jail breaking on the 1st day...and probably phone bricking on the first update, too, just like last time. No thanks.

So all I'm saying is there are valid reasons, depending on a person's priorities that a v1 phone could be considered better.

In my personal case, the 3G upgrade is the only thing that is really significant or "real" I'm not sure I want to give up open access to my phone and unlimited applications in exchange for 3G, though.

That's where I'm coming from.

overbo0st2k4

Bronze
Oct 17, 2007
so, i was at an Apple store today since my universal dock was acting up (no video output from my iPhone and everything i tried pointed to a defective dock), and i asked a genius if they had any details on the 3G iPhone release time, and he said they just learned it was going to be at 6:00 pm, just like the first release, on 7/11. i neglected to ask him if they were going to close down the store for 2 hours beforehand like the last time. i did ask him if they will let people line up, and he said that's up to the mall management in terms of how they'll handle it.

of course, i take this with a grain of salt until there's an official announcement from Apple, but just thought i'd pass this on for those who are planning on getting one on release day (like me!)... :)
Ok...the OP clearly was asking for confirmation as to whether the store would be closing at 4pm and reopening at 6.

I simply answered that by saying I read somewere at work that this was indeed the case. I followed that statement with my own opinion, based on my first hand experiences at the store I work at. I am not high up in the chain of command whatsoever, just work at one of the stores. I basicly just expressed my thoughts as to what the reasons were.

Sorry if they were not good enough. And thanks for flaming me for no good reason.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I don't know if this has been said yet but definitely wait in the Apple Store if you can, not the AT&T store. Apple Stores will have longer lines but they will have 10 times the shipment (if it's anything like last time). I waited in line at AT&T and they were sold out within an hour. Much later that night, close to midnight, I called the Apple Store and they said there had been a huge line but that they had plenty left to buy still, with no line.

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
Ok...the OP clearly was asking for confirmation as to whether the store would be closing at 4pm and reopening at 6.

I simply answered that by saying I read somewere at work that this was indeed the case. I followed that statement with my own opinion, based on my first hand experiences at the store I work at. I am not high up in the chain of command whatsoever, just work at one of the stores. I basicly just expressed my thoughts as to what the reasons were.

Sorry if they were not good enough. And thanks for flaming me for no good reason.
...wow.

The last time I checked, I wasn't in Kindergarden class anymore. Accordingly, I thought that when someone gave lame justification for something, I was allowed to call that justification into question without people taking it personally.

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
Seriously, what's the big deal with getting one the moment they come out? I do understand.
i am sorry you do not understand
to clarify ...
a lot of people are in the same boat as me
you see we sold our iPhone to get the 3g iPhone
now... we have been iphone-less for about a month
we want a new iPhone asap
and i like oranges but only in the morning
but don't try to give me no oranges at night boy
because i will start some drama up in here
Apple's well
thats a different story
you got me?

kneshoba

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
I was told also that the sale starts @ 6pm here in OKC.

Man it will be HOT standing outside an AT&T store.

The only Apple store is in the mall, but their is an AT&T that also sell the iPhone, So I can image the amount of congestion in the mall.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.

Dude - what? You're firing at MacGirl? She started this thread. She didn't flame you. I appreciate your opinion - but simmer down. :p

Seriously, thanks for chiming in. We don't really have any Apple employees that are regulars. Stick around.

Cantwait4iPhone

May 6, 2007
United States
Dude - what? You're firing at MacGirl? She started this thread. She didn't flame you. I appreciate your opinion - but simmer down. :p

Seriously, thanks for chiming in. We don't really have any Apple employees that are regulars. Stick around.
I think he was using the original post by Macgirl to attempt to prove his point, not to argue with her.

Cool off though, guys. There is no reason to insult each other, it's only a discussion.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Yeah, if anything, the 6 p.m. release time is only to generate hype and so that people can go down after work (and not have to take off of work) and get one. They better be open till midnight! :D

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
|3are, chill bro, as for the 6pm thing, it will happen, its a publicity thing, why sell it at 9 am when it opens, they wait till 6 because they can, they have to power to ALL att stores down at the same time, and release the phone at 6pm. this gives time for the news crews to get out there and it just makes people want it more.

basically, why 6 pm, because they can!
other companies are doing this too, i remember that i went to the madden football game release party at midnight last yr, and i went to the GTA one with my friend, its a trend and peopel are going for it!
i think that its fun, and i will be there this yr in line for the new iPhone too...

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
I'm not angry with him. Just because I'm not angry with him doesn't mean I can't say why I think the reasons he listed are terrible reasons.

I know he's not the decision-maker.

Whether he's the decision-maker or not has no impact on whether or not I agree with that release time or whether or not I want to voice my opinion.

I'm not taking anything out on him. Until I hear an official release from Apple, I'm not even going to believe it.

Who pissed in your Wheaties?

overbo0st2k4

Bronze
Oct 17, 2007

I think you may have misunderstood my post. I was using the quote to clear up my point, not to argue with her.

On the OTHER hand, we put up the iPhone signs in the store!