Apple store for 3G S pickup

azsprty

Jun 10, 2009
Valley of the Sun
So I have never been apart of a launch before. I pre ordered on from the Apple store, looks like 100-150 ahead of me on the list...the salesman showed me. I guess they are opening at 8, 2 hours early. Anyone have suggestions on how early to get there to make sure I get one on launch day?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Cancel and order with AT&T and show up at 7 ;)

Honestly, it depends on your location. If it's a popular one, get there VERY early.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
just in case you don't know, you can order online and receive it at your door on the 19th.

azsprty

Jun 10, 2009
Valley of the Sun
the issue with the AT&T store is I only had cash and they wanted cc so I went to Apple store and got a gift card and reserved one. I think i will head back to the Apple store and explain the fear of not getting one on launch (dols my 3 g today and have no phone) and see if I can just order it and have it shipped. I tried online but it said I must go to the store to add a line to existing service

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
sorry, i meant order from the Apple online store. If you do, shipping is free, and they say you will get it on the 19th.

azsprty

Jun 10, 2009
Valley of the Sun
thanks guys but the website says you can only order new lines at this time...when I clicked existing line i get this:

Visit the Apple Retail Store to add a line.

If you'd like to add an additional line to your account, please visit your nearest Apple Retail Store. Just click the Continue button below to save your information and reserve an iPhone.

blah..i better get one on friday lol

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
do you need to add a line? I can't tell from by the way you worded that...

I put in an order a few hours ago at the online Apple store, and the "delivery by june 19" offer was still good...

azsprty

Jun 10, 2009
Valley of the Sun
Oh yes im adding a line to the account...to bypass the early term fee for now. I will just go in tomorrow...thanks

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
gotcha.

fwiw, i have a feeling that everyone worried about not getting a 3GS on the 19th will be laughing about it later.

azsprty

Jun 10, 2009
Valley of the Sun
im not trying to be a moron but a week without a phone will drive the wife nuts....this was the first full day and she was irritated she had to result to email all day :laugh2:

LuvKeane

Bronze
May 10, 2009
Broadway
the issue with the AT&T store is I only had cash and they wanted cc...
Oooh, this is good to know because I was going to use my cash I got from returning my previous phone (paid via debit originally)

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
Interesting information about if AT&T will deliver by 19th or ship on 19th. I chose 2-3 day which was free instead of $16 for overnight. But look:
"Pre-orders for iPhone 3G S will be shipped with overnight priority and will be processed to arrive as early as June 19, 2009, if submitted by 12 p.m. noon C.T., June 17, 2009. The actual shipment date and receipt of your order is not guaranteed and may be subject to delays for reasons that include, but are not limited to, product availability, inventory, credit issues, number porting or carrier delays, and completion of other required AT&T businesss processes. Additional items added to the cart at the time of your pre-order may ship separately depending on availability. Your credit card will not be charged until items are shipped.
All pre-orders taken online are being handled on a first-come, first-served basis."

azsprty

Jun 10, 2009
Valley of the Sun
yes i wasn't part of the launch last time but seems like they are trying to be a little more organized this go around

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Century City Apple Store here. I live six blocks from the store but still having the 3GS shipped to me. I may go over there next Friday anyway just to see the lines of people. I remember last year the lines lasted for days with two burly security guards at the entrance.

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
Why would anyone wait in line this time around? Believe me I waited in lines for the first two but I was at the Apple Store today and if it is reserved why bother waiting in line. I'll go towards the end of the day and pick it up then.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Why would anyone wait in line this time around? Believe me I waited in lines for the first two but I was at the Apple Store today and if it is reserved why bother waiting in line. I'll go towards the end of the day and pick it up then.
Because some people want to be the first to have the new iPhone in their hands. Even a day later isn't good enough.

May 6, 2007
United States
gotcha.

fwiw, i have a feeling that everyone worried about not getting a 3GS on the 19th will be laughing about it later.
Probably a pretty reliable feeling. I was there for the iDay number one launch, waiting in line for hours, only to find out that they still had iPhones the next day. It was a fun time, though, so it was worth it in the end.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Reserving it and showing up late in the day? I talked to 3 separate Apple store employees and they all said the reservation is NOT a guarantee. More than likely you'll get one, but I would definitely arrive before noon. Especially here in iPhone infested Miami-Dade County.