Apple Store or AT&T Store

passta

Aug 16, 2007
I'm upgrade eligible for the 3G, (called ATT, and checked the site, both so so, at least for now...) I was going to go to the Apple store tomorrow morning around 7ish and wait. Whats the consensus, is it better to goto the Apple store, or an ATT store? Think there will be people waiting already in the morning? I waited a few weeks to get my first iPhone so I've never waited in line for something like this before, any suggestions on the best course of action?

thanks, Andy

bls8195

Bronze
Apr 23, 2008
Texas City, TX
I am with you man, I have never waited for a phone either or anything in line for that manner.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
In Hawaii, people didn't wait overnight for Star Wars tickets. So, I pretty much always got them easy on the first day.

I stood in line for Star Wars figures, but maybe an hour or 45 minutes.

I'll be going to my AT&T store at around 9 a.m. so we'll see if they're sold out by then (probably not, probably still activating the first group of people). If the line is massively long, I'm going to the AT&T store by my house. If all else fails, I'm going to the Apple store. I'll go to the Apple store anyway if AT&T is not well-stocked with accessories.

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
I'm upgrade eligible for the 3G, (called ATT, and checked the site, both so so, at least for now...) I was going to go to the Apple store tomorrow morning around 7ish and wait. Whats the consensus, is it better to goto the Apple store, or an ATT store? Think there will be people waiting already in the morning? I waited a few weeks to get my first iPhone so I've never waited in line for something like this before, any suggestions on the best course of action?

thanks, Andy
If you want to have your phone before anyone else but don't want to start camping out last night, go to an AT&T store. If you think you can wait until noon or later to get your iPhone -- I know I can't -- just casually drop by your local Apple store, which will have many more in stock and probably won't sell out at all.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
I bought mine at the Apple store last time.. didn't really want to deal with the lame customer service at an AT&T store. It was smooth and easy and I walked away happy.

This time I'm going to AT&T for a couple of different reasons. First, it's WAY closer and I'd rather drive less and use less gas. Second, the process seems more complicated this time because it's not just adding a phone, but totally changing my plan because we're lowering our minutes and switching our texting and reassigning my old iPhone to my husband's number. I think that AT&T will be better equipped to deal with those kinds of issues. (And I highly doubt that anyone in MY dumb little non-3G ag town uses this forum, but if you're in line behind me and it takes forever, I'm sorry. At least I've done my homework and know exactly what I need. I won't be asking any questions, just telling someone what to do.)

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
Personally... I'd drive the extra few miles to go to the Apple store, if only for one reason.

They have MUCH better looking clerks there! ;)
yes, I'm not sure that with the price of gas in California and my *need* for spendy toys that I can afford the luxury of driving an extra thirty miles just so a cute guy can create my receipt.

I'll stick with the AT&T store five minutes from my house.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I bought mine at the Apple store last time.. didn't really want to deal with the lame customer service at an AT&T store. It was smooth and easy and I walked away happy.

This time I'm going to AT&T for a couple of different reasons. First, it's WAY closer and I'd rather drive less and use less gas. Second, the process seems more complicated this time because it's not just adding a phone, but totally changing my plan because we're lowering our minutes and switching our texting and reassigning my old iPhone to my husband's number. I think that AT&T will be better equipped to deal with those kinds of issues. (And I highly doubt that anyone in MY dumb little non-3G ag town uses this forum, but if you're in line behind me and it takes forever, I'm sorry. At least I've done my homework and know exactly what I need. I won't be asking any questions, just telling someone what to do.)
+1. Although going to the Apple store is more fun, I think ATT is a better choice this time.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
+1. Although going to the Apple store is more fun, I think ATT is a better choice this time.
You are right. The Apple store is, unquestionably, more fun. AND they have cuter bags and possibly cuter employees. But I am above that temptation and making, I think, the better choice.

Thanks for validating that. (I care WAY too much what other people think.)

KPSK

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
But i guess if you still have the rebate that you must go to an Apple store right?

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
How about cash? Last year I bought mine at AT&T with cash but I hear they are only accepting cc's this year. Is AT&T accepting good ol' $$$?

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
How about cash? Last year I bought mine at AT&T with cash but I hear they are only accepting cc's this year. Is AT&T accepting good ol' $$$?
Last year AT&T woudn't accept my cash, and I think the same applies this year.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
Last year AT&T woudn't accept my cash, and I think the same applies this year.
They wouldn't? Very strange. I meant to say Apple is where I bought mine last year with cash. So you went on launch day and AT&T wouldn't accept cash last year?

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
They wouldn't? Very strange. I meant to say Apple is where I bought mine last year with cash. So you went on launch day and AT&T wouldn't accept cash last year?
Yep. Tried to hand the AT&T guy cash and he looked like he was about to have a heart attack. I guess he was afraid I wouldn't have an alternate form of payment and I would have made a scene. Luckily I had a card to pay.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
Yep. Tried to hand the AT&T guy cash and he looked like he was about to have a heart attack. I guess he was afraid I wouldn't have an alternate form of payment and I would have made a scene. Luckily I had a card to pay.
That is very strange. I never heard of AT&T not accepting cash on last iDay. I called a couple stores in my area just now and they said cash would be fine. Did anyone else experience what happened to alexander last year?

desibhar

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
I wasn't sure whether I was going to an Apple or AT&T store, but I just got a parking space right next to the Apple store! Plus, I only have to pay the meter from 8 am - 6 pm, so this is perfect! My buddy is bringing some lawn chairs, so this will be fun to hang out in my SUV, and then just get in line as soon as possible. SWEEEEET! Apple for the win!

(can you tell that this will be my first iPhone? :p)

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
yes, I'm not sure that with the price of gas in California and my *need* for spendy toys that I can afford the luxury of driving an extra thirty miles just so a cute guy can create my receipt.

I'll stick with the AT&T store five minutes from my house.
How about a cute girl? ;)

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
I have a $150 credit at Apple, so I don't have a choice. But I don't know if it will be tomorrow, because my V1 is jailbroken with all sorts of apps that I would really miss, not to mention my original themes. So it's kind of a toss-up.