Apple Store replaced separating iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

randyg

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
On Sunday I noticed that the left side of my iPhone was separating some. The chrome bezel was pulling away from the aluminum back. Where you would normally feel a nice smooth seam there, you could now feel an obvious difference. I could feel the sharp edge of the chrome piece. I tried squeezing it back together and heard a crunch sound...eek! Made an appt with a genius at the SF store. He looked at it, did the same thing I did, heard that crunch sound, and said they would replace it. He pulled a new one out from behind the counter and proceeded to fill out the paperwork. I'm SO glad I didn't have to send it off and wait for a replacement. I'm thinking the crunching sound was just grit from my pocket that had settled into the crack.
Just thought others might want to know this info and keep an eye on that area and don't hesitate to take it in, we spent WAY too much on these things for the fit and finish to be less than acceptable.
The syncing process when I got home was very seemless, it found my account, activated the phone, and transferred all my data. I did then have to re-sync to get all my songs, videos, etc on there, but it was really easy.

rob22

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
How long did you have the phone? I have noticed an uneven edge along the same seam on mine as well. If you rub your fingers from the back up towards the front. It is noticeably different than the other side. I keep it in a case so it's really not a huge deal, but if they'll swap it out that easily then I'll head up to the store.

randyg

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
How long did you have the phone? I have noticed an uneven edge along the same seam on mine as well. If you rub your fingers from the back up towards the front. It is noticeably different than the other side. I keep it in a case so it's really not a huge deal, but if they'll swap it out that easily then I'll head up to the store.
I had the original iPhone for about 18 days. Like you said, it wasn't bad, but if it got worse or came loose it would be bad. I just figured it was a manufacturing thing and should be covered, and if it wasn't covered then at least they'd have a record of me having taken in before it fell apart.

chris07

Jun 30, 2007
I had the original iPhone for about 18 days. Like you said, it wasn't bad, but if it got worse or came loose it would be bad. I just figured it was a manufacturing thing and should be covered, and if it wasn't covered then at least they'd have a record of me having taken in before it fell apart.

i got the same thing happening on the corner by the camera it isn't bad but you can feel it.. should i bring it in and see what they can do? because now im worried lol

rob22

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
i got the same thing happening on the corner by the camera it isn't bad but you can feel it.. should i bring it in and see what they can do? because now im worried lol
I'm going to take mine in today and have them look at it.

chris07

Jun 30, 2007
I'm going to take mine in today and have them look at it.

let me know what happens and can you do me a favor if u got time can you take a pic of it right now so i can compare it to mine and if they return yours i kno to return mine.. thanks i very much appriciate it.

rob22

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
let me know what happens and can you do me a favor if u got time can you take a pic of it right now so i can compare it to mine and if they return yours i kno to return mine.. thanks i very much appriciate it.
I posted another thread about this, but I took it in and they sent it in. Got a refurb within 2 days. It was even worse. The rental iPhone is perfect but has AppleCare Service engraved on the back. So I went in and they gave me a brand new one. This one still has a little edge on one of the corners, but I suppose I'll live. I keep it in a case anyway and have sort of rolled it down a little more.