Apple Store says lightening adapter won't work to charge?

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by Terry M., Oct 11, 2012.

1. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

I called the local Apple store last night to see if they had the lightning adapter in stock yet. I was told yes. So I hopped in the truck and drove 30 mins to the store. I go in and am directed to a small box that looks suspiciously like the cord that came with the phone. Uh okay.... I asked two different people if this would work for my car charger? I'm told "yes" as long as it has a USB port. Good to go.
    I go out to my truck and open the box to find the cable that came with the phone! Just to double check I plug the USB end into the port and plug into the cig lighter. Nothing. I go back in and tell them this isn't what I wanted. I specifically called ahead to see if they had the lightning adapter. "Oh we don't have that yet"
    I tell her what I need is something I can use with my car charger and she tells me even when they get the adapter in it probably won't work with any existing car chargers! I'll have to wait until Apple releases an iPhone 5 car charger!
    At this point I'm just pissed and walked out if the store.
    Can anyone tell me if the adapter will work on existing car chargers?
    Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iCafe app

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I've used the included Lightning to USB with a Griffin USB charger. That worked without issue. Marianne just received her adapter today -- while music works with her iPod HiFi, charging does not.

3. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

Wish I knew what kind my charger was. I'll check tonight when I get to my personal truck. I know it came from the AT&T store.
    So I'm seeing it will charge with the right car charger but it won't play music. Awesome. I thought I read something about that in he relate last night when I was half asleep.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iCafe app

4. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

I'm doing what Chris is withe the griffin USB

The girl you got must be a moron cause why would they maker he adapter and have it not charge. I doubt that would be the case

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk