Apple Store with no availability is bound to get deliveries

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
...and I suppose YMMV, but this worked nicely for me.

I worked on the theory that one should do the opposite of what the Apple availability page says. So I went to a store near me, (I'm lucky, on Long Island, we have three stores) that was showing no stock. The thinking was:

1) No lines, because most people would believe the Apple site

2) Deliveries were happening, so if I got there shortly after store opening, I'd be good to go.

Sure enough, I got there about 40 minutes after store opening, was third in line, (though I believe two others had already been called) and got my shiny new 16gb Black iPhone! The whole thing took about 40 minutes from entering the store to exiting.

This strategy only works if you live in shouting distance of a store that is showing no stock, but I think it's worth a try for anyone in that situation.

jackz5o

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
New Jersey
I was thinking the same.. whatever shows up on Apple's site are only the leftovers from that day's delivery. Even if the Apple site doesn't show stock, the store will eventually get stock some time the next day since almost all Apple stores get some amount of stock daily.

nasabuzi

Jul 8, 2008
which store on long island did you go to?

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
which store on long island did you go to?
Walt Whitman.

Based on the several phone calls I've made in the last week to Roosevelt Field, there's always a huge crowd there.

Walt Whitman is closer for me, and I would have taken the drive out to Smith Haven, but there was no need. I think those two are much better bets.

nasabuzi

Jul 8, 2008
ok thanks. yes im closer to roosevelt but maybe ill give a shot to one of the other places

rmfnla

Bronze
Very smart; after all, the info on their site is only accurate as of when they last updated.

There is also the error factor. I went to my local Apple store early last Tuesday and also lucked into a short line (also only 3 people). The "line monitor" warned me they did not have any black 16 GBs, which did not matter since I wanted an 8 GB.

The sales guy, however, mentioned that they did have a few black 16 GBs if I wanted one (I still did not) so apparently their info is not consistent even from one end of the store to another!

We should start the "I got my 3G in less than an hour" club (mine took 45 minutes). :D