Apple Sued?

nealh

Contributor
Silver
Apr 3, 2008
Whose lives are in danger here? I don't think dropping the call actually means you drop the person on the other end thereforee hurting them.
Why are u defending Apple so vehemently ? They sold a defective product, got caught and have done nothing to address the issue. They seem more arrogant over the issue.
There response was non- existent and now after all the reviews and outside pressure they may do something.
They have no right to deceive the consumer and take there money.
While I do not condone a lawsuit there response is why people r upset and frustrated.
Apple is wrong and CS is king. I am disappointed in how they have handled themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

Mar 24, 2009
Atlanta, GA
While I agree with the premise of your arguments, this isn't exactly 'nothing'.. there's a greater issue here, and it is one that is VERY suit worthy.. but assuming Apple clears the air about the issue, and doesn't continue to hold their ground and either pretend, or assume that there is nothing wrong with these phones, then, give people the option to GET OUT of what could be conceived as a bad deal, then and only then can we look unfavorably upon those who might want to sue..

right now, as it stands... a suit if a very plausible option at getting a remedy to an obvious problem..

now, this being said, if Apple gives consumers the chance to opt out, and give them all the information they would need to make an objective decision on whether or not to KEEP or BUY this phone, and they STILL choose buy/keep and then try to sue... then they can be looked at as opportunist at that point..

Mar 24, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Also keep in mind, a Class Action lawsuit would also press Apples quality control process to triple the current standard..

nothing to get a company going like little a little legal fire under their bottoms..

and even if found infallible.. the negative press and cost of litigation alone would have been enough to ensure that future products meet the absolute highest standard

Wolfcub

Bronze
Jun 24, 2010
But sued for what? Pain and suffering? loss of a couple hundred bucks? sue them for wasted minutes? I mean really, how can anybody justify asking them for millions of dollars for such tiny nuisances in our lives?
It would seem like a little nuisance hut people run businessses with cell phones. Heck Apple and AT&T are making billions off of them. My own personal experience with the new iPhone is that it cost me over $2k in lost businesss because the client couldn't get through to me, will I sue, no but don't say just because you just use your phone for normal everyday things, other people like me also depend on them to keep in touch with clients and family. So it really isn't as small a nuisance as you make it out, itvteally is much more.

Jun 13, 2010
Okay seriously guys, a cellphone these days can be a life saver. A lot of people buy phones just in case they get into an accident on their way to work and such. A cellphone is used by people who rely on constant communication with their employees/bosses where REAL money can be lost or gained in seconds (think CEOs, execs, small businesss owners). Doctors use Cell phones..... Apples iPhone website for businessses showcase Toronto's Mount Sinai Hospital.... Imagine one of those doctors missing a call or dropping a call? Imagine your mother being that patient who got a call dropped on! A faulty antenna is a serious issue... A suit worthy issue!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
This thread hurts my brain. To each his own, but I'm of the belief the courts aren't around for us to "stick it" to companies that can afford it just to keep them on their toes. What kind of jacked-up concept of justice is that? Man alive...

Wolfcub

Bronze
Jun 24, 2010
This thread hurts my brain. To each his own, but I'm of the belief the courts aren't around for us to "stick it" to companies that can afford it just to keep them on their toes. What kind of jacked-up concept of justice is that? Man alive...
The courts are around for they same reason fir companies as they are for us. It's to keep us all as honest and responsible as possible.
I like Apple as much as the next Fanboy, but let's be really honest here. Prople have serious complaints and the courts are the only way that businessses will let the consumer be heard. It's the courts job to keep people from taking advantage of the next guy. Should people sue for millions, heck no, but that also depends on each individual case. It depends on what kind off loss the person suffered because of using a faulty product.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
+10

(10 character min)

larabee

Aug 27, 2007
Lake St. Louis Mo
What I do not understand is...If you are so upset that you feel a lawsuit is in order...Just return the phone, and get a phone that you feel is perfect. I have seen Videos with the same reception issue is on other phone types. You do not here talk of suits against those companies.
With the arguments above...(because they have a lot of money) If there were 2 different companies that had this issue, and they were small companies, The thought of a lawsuit would not even happen.
Lawsuits should only happen when you have no other course of action (they would not take the product back) - Some one got hurt do to negligence, etc.
plus one thing that has not been brought up...wouldn't you have to prove that Apple intensially did it? Or is making absolutely no effort to fix it.
They are trying to fix it. It may not be the right one, but they are trying.

zaydaboss

Jun 28, 2010
I understand both sides in this. I feel that a force of a recall is in fact justified. I've used a iPhone since day one it's what I use, it's what I prefer. I have 2 iPhone 4s and 1 3GS on my account. Im locked in 4 2 year aggreements that are worth $345 a pop. Since I've been trying out other phones for the last two months and felt uncomfortable with all that I tried I feel obligated to use a iPhone. To me thats worth sueing not for any type of cash but to get them to do right by a consumer such as myself. I've lived in the Apple eco system for years and it's unfair for me to be punished for that.

The courts are around for they same reason fir companies as they are for us. It's to keep us all as honest and responsible as possible.
That isn't what the courts are for in my opinion. They exist (in this civil discussion context) as a venue to have individuals recover losses/damages/suffering when they actually suffer losses/damages. Punitive damages are sometimes awarded in addition, as a punishment to those who cause these damages, but usually when it is determined to be willful in nature. They shouldn't be used just to punish a company for product issues, especially when the product has been out less than a month! This discussion is retarded.

Wolfcub

Bronze
Jun 24, 2010
That isn't what the courts are for in my opinion. They exist (in this civil discussion context) as a venue to have individuals recover losses/damages/suffering when they actually suffer losses/damages. Punitive damages are sometimes awarded in addition, as a punishment to those who cause these damages, but usually when it is determined to be willful in nature. They shouldn't be used just to punish a company for product issues, especially when the product has been out less than a month! This discussion is retarded.
Lol everything you have said is true. Exspecially the willful part. It has been shown that Apple knew about the defective antenna before they shipped the produced so the problem has been around much longer than a month. So all the list revenue people suffered is just OK because IRS just a phone. As been stated before, what is it worth to you to gave a dependable phone that you know will make calls? If it isn't that important to you that's fine, but for
people who rely on communication for a living it's very important. When Apple has billed it's iPhone as a high tech smart phone and people buy it relying on it to atleast make basic phone calls and when it doesn't then they have a right to complain, especially when they have lost money and Apple knew about the design flaw before hand.

...It has been shown that Apple knew about the defective antenna before they shipped the produced
Apple has officially and categorically denied that Bloomberg report. Now, I'm not a big Apple fan, in fact I find them more distasteful as a company than MS or Google. But before any discussion of litigation takes place we need to wait a bit and see what develops. The timing isn't right and the details remain sketchy at best.

Wolfcub

Bronze
Jun 24, 2010
Apple has officially and categorically denied that Bloomberg report.
True, but do you really believe Apple will admit to selling a faulty product? Litigation is the only way to get to the truth. I returned my iPhone 4 after hearing Jobs take on the situation and totally refusing to make it right. Most people knew this would be his stance ghats why people started law suits well in advance.

nealh

Contributor
Silver
Apr 3, 2008
If read the comments from Engadget, Jobs admit they knew there was a signal issue. So Apple but sold it as a defective.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
I guess a Federal Court judge in California agrees because the Class Action was approved. Anybody who bought an iPhone and has been stuck to AT&T with a 5 year+ contract since 2007 can join it. In essense it says that we signed a 2 year contract but have to continue as a 5 or 6 year contract because Apple won't unlock our phones to use them with another carrier like T-Mobile.

In Maryland some people have sued Apple because of the iPhone 4 fraud and misrepresentation and they're trying to turn it into a Class Action too. I'm sure they'll add the fact that Apple knew about the defective antenna issue because their senior antenna guy Rubén Caballero told them it would have problems but they ignored him. Also add as a fact why would Apple give away free bumpers if it wasn't an issue? Since when does Apple give away anything, just because? It will all come out in the lawsuit.

Add to that Consumer Reports saying it doesn't recommend it because it's faulty and it must hurt Apple.

If only Apple would have admitted it instead of saying that after their investigation they realized it was a software issue and continued blowing smoke up our assses then maybe I'd have a little more sympathy. I don't mind people making mistakes but they knew about the problem, lied about it, and haven't fixed it because it isn't a software problem it's the hardware, it's the antenna design.

Bg415

Jun 15, 2010
SIMPLE AND EASY. If youre not satisfied, return the damn phone. Wait a year or two and check back up with Apple. All this negativity is so damn stupid. It has been shown that the 4.0.1 software update some how fixed this problem. So stop all this BS complaining. If you don't like the phone, return it. If you do, well
More power to you.

Bg415

Jun 15, 2010
And to add, maybe you can blame gizmodo for this for showing the prototype and going through the hassle of not handing it over ASAP. People said this was all planned, but WHO KNOWS?! MAYBE, just maybe if that didn't happen, more tests would have been tested for the iPhone 4 and would have come out at a later date.