Apple to Allow Only One App Running At A Time

paa79594

Silver
Jul 23, 2007
Los Angeles
www.theplasticguys.com
According to the official iPhone Human Interface Guidelines recently published by Apple, only one iPhone application may run at a time, and third-party iPhone applications will not be able to run in the background, posing a potential challenge to developers. “Only one iPhone application can run at a time, and third-party applications never run in the background,” the document states. “This means that when users switch to another application, answer the phone, or check their email, the application they were using quits..."

Read full article here http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ne...phone-apps-one-at-a-time-never-in-background/

(sorry if posted already)

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Think John Gruber at Daring Fireball spotted this first. I'm probably missing something in thinking about this, but this sounds potentially *very* lame to me. If apps don't remember their last state / where you were at when you switch away from them, then that is suckerama I think.

Surely, iPhone platform is going to handle this better than the dinosaur Palm OS ...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Hmm... sounds very limited. What with the iPhone running OS X, I don't see why Apple wouldn't take advantage of that... interesting.

- John

Aug 28, 2007
Hmm... sounds very limited. What with the iPhone running OS X, I don't see why Apple wouldn't take advantage of that... interesting.

- John
Well its not like the OSX running on iMacs, its only a cell-phone^2

I'm sure it will deliver though.

- John (we have the same names :laugh2:)

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007

I'm sure it will deliver though.

- John (we have the same names :laugh2:)
Don't you go stealing my signature, boy! :p

Even though it is a watered down version of OS X, Steve stated last year that it still allows for all apps to run in the background.

- John

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
(we have the same names :laugh2:)
Yes, but we just got told during yesterday's event that it runs the real deal OSX kernel etc. Besides which, Windows Mobile does multi-tasking, and has done for several years ...

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Hopefully they will figure out a way so that it can save your state in some sort of database on the phone when you hit the home button, or a text/call comes in.

ap93

Bronze
Feb 7, 2008
any idea what kind of apps are to come?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
any idea what kind of apps are to come?
Whatever people decide to develop. Anybody can download the SDK, and anybody can have their apps put on the App Store, so.. other than things Apple prohibits (SIM unlocks, etc.) the possibilities are endless.

- John

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
if this is true I can see myself buying the Sony Ericsson xperia x1 when it comes out or even going back to my nokia n95-3 or the n96 when its released. Major bummer if its true

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I can surf the web now and listen to music.....I will NOT be able to do that soon? Is that what you're saying..?
say you are playing a game and you get an IM on AIM or you want to check email. from what I understand, switching to one of those apps from the game you are playing will kill that game, it won't stay running in the background and as a result not remember what point of the game you were in. you can still surf the web and listen to music, but 3rd party apps will not be allowed to run in the background while others are running from what I understand.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
say you are playing a game and you get an IM on AIM or you want to check email. from what I understand, switching to one of those apps from the game you are playing will kill that game, it won't stay running in the background and as a result not remember what point of the game you were in. you can still surf the web and listen to music, but 3rd party apps will not be allowed to run in the background while others are running from what I understand.
oh.. oh no! does that mean they won't even be able to be capable of doing what jbs are? I can (usually) get out from Apollo to do sonething else..

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
oh.. oh no! does that mean they won't even be able to be capable of doing what jbs are? I can (usually) get out from Apollo to do sonething else..
idunno sure hope not. that's just what i gather from reading this thread and the article. Surely they don't expect to compete with the WM, BB, and Symbian platforms if it is not going to be decent at multitasking. Maybe that's another area where Jobs is worried about battery drain. That was a lame excuse for 3g and I surely wouldn't buy it for this

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Starting to sound like I'm still going to want a jailbroken phone....Thy'd have to have BOTH MMS and cut and paste for me to NOT jailbreak....

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Starting to sound like I'm still going to want a jailbroken phone....Thy'd have to have BOTH MMS and cut and paste for me to NOT jailbreak....
I hope we see an MMS app through the SDK but who knows. Apple will probably handle things like that delicately as it seems AT&T has a hand in the lack of MMS as well. Apple doesn't want to burn any bridges with AT&T I'm sure.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
The apps will definitely be able to save state, so to the user it should be transparent. You won't even know the app closed.

Where this really matters is in apps that need to keep running in the background, or at least run a daemon. I would hope they aren't completely locked out, including daemons.

I might buy a Mac just to be able to use the SDK....

--
Mike

patrick_83

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
Illinois
The apps will definitely be able to save state, so to the user it should be transparent. You won't even know the app closed.

Where this really matters is in apps that need to keep running in the background, or at least run a daemon. I would hope they aren't completely locked out, including daemons.

I might buy a Mac just to be able to use the SDK....

--
Mike

I might buy a mac for it if there was a cheap used mac somewhere. I have almost never used a mac before though :-þ

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I might buy a mac for it if there was a cheap used mac somewhere. I have almost never used a mac before though :-þ
To be frank if I bought one it would be a Macbook, or Macbook Pro--but I'd mostly use it to run Windows. I usually get a new laptop every year and now is about the time.

Oh yes, one thing to keep in mind is that you need an Intel Mac for the SDK.

--
Mike

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
Yeah it would be very lame if the third party applications just quiet if you went and had to answer a phone call. I was looking forward to some solid games that have the ability to save your progress.