Apple to bring full-screen video iAds to iOS apps this year

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ledsteplin, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

My thoughts as mentioned here.

#2 chris, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  3. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

If Apple decides to start throwing full page ads in my face I would be forced to seriously consider jumping ship to another Eco-system. I'm certainly not going to pay a premium price for a device that constantly interrupts me with full page ads when I'm trying to accomplish something useful or find some needed information. I accept that banner ads are the cost of using free apps and I love my Apple devices, but full page ads would be a deal breaker for me.

#3 iPutz, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  4. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

They should offer different versions. An iPhone that you get free with iAds and the other without iAds because we paid full retail. I guess that's asking too much. After all, we pay full retail for our TV's and cable/satellite service but we still have to sit through Ads. iAds will because the norm and won't phase us after a certain amount of time. We'll become numb to them. One drawback this will cause is more data being used for these video iAds.

5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

The battle between free vs paid apps has been fought and won. Unfortunately, the move now is towards advertising and in-app purchases, which results in greater profitability for the developers. In a perfect world, any and all apps would allow a way to remove ads. While some do, the common practice appears to be ads and IAPs.

6. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

Me too. This is a deal breaker. Considering Apple's profitability, do they really need this? I'll be a BlackBerry user again should this come to pass.

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I can deal with in app purchases. They're options. But a full page video iAd that forces me to either watch the whole thing or set my phone down until it's finished is a bit too much. They should at least offer the option to skip the ad. I don't have any paid apps that have ads. But there are some. I will not watch the video iAds. With the exception of some games, I don't have many free apps. It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. Does Apple really need the extra revenue from this? It's going to make a lot of loyal customers angry.

8. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

Alternatives. If I have a paid app that throws one of these at me, I will find an alternative for that app. However, if any paid for app does this, the backlash from purchasers would be very real. I was worried when they first announced iAds in the first place. But it didn't turn into a problem.