Apple to drop 8gb model, $299 Clearance?

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Not surprising, it was bound to happen. If you think about it the Ipod Touch not being a phone has more memory than iPhone. 4g and 8g isn't very much now adays. It can only go up from here and continue to improve in new models.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
BGR is claiming Apple is soon to discontinue 8gb iPhone & touch models. 8gb models will go on clearance for $299 like the original 4gb did. Sounds like it could happen.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/02/10/100-price-drop-on-iphone-ipod-touch-then-8gb-burial/
hmm if that's the case I may buy the 8gb at 299 and make a quick sale of my 16gb for and stick the cash in my pocket.

My motive behind this would be trying to get a better LCD panel version. The blacks are horrible on the panel on my new 16gb, it's making me long for my 8gb that I had.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
hmm if that's the case I may buy the 8gb at 299 and make a quick sale of my 16gb for and stick the cash in my pocket.

My motive behind this would be trying to get a better LCD panel version. The blacks are horrible on the panel on my new 16gb, it's making me long for my 8gb that I had.
I've bought like 6 iPhones and they all have had the negative black issue. Only one that was good I got way back in june. Checked all my friends iPhones and every last one of them has the neg black issue also. I think only maybe like 5% of them are the good screens, I wouldn't be too optimistic.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I've bought like 6 iPhones and they all have had the negative black issue. Only one that was good I got way back in june. Checked all my friends iPhones and every last one of them has the neg black issue also. I think only maybe like 5% of them are the good screens, I wouldn't be too optimistic.
Hopefully this is something they look at for v2. Am I correct here that the good screens were made by a different manufacturer than the current ones that we are getting? I'm wondering if Apple did indeed switch, what their reasoning was.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
Hopefully this is something they look at for v2. Am I correct here that the good screens were made by a different manufacturer than the current ones that we are getting? I'm wondering if Apple did indeed switch, what their reasoning was.
My guess, they got them cheaper. They are really trying to keep this under wraps though. Almost denying it's existence.