Apple to offer their own wireless service for iPhone, iPad?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chris, May 1, 2012.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Read an article on BGR about how Apple was going to bypass the carriers, creating their own wireless network. Maybe a few years back, I would have believed this, but I'm not buying it. They have zero network infrastructure. How does a costly move like this help them internationally? What about all of the associated costs and trouble of being the provider. Right now, their commitment is to creating one new phone per year and software updates. Why would they get into the wireless businesss?

Am I crazy or is this article crazy?

2. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

I find it hard to believe. While they have a huge pile of cash (and don't really pay taxes), I doubt they would purchase controlling interest in any wireless provider. Especially the many it would take to get international coverage.

Target

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I suppose they could purchase T-Mobile, but then they would have the crappiest wireless carrier. That doesn't make sense either.

Adding towers isn't easy. In my town, it's highly political when it comes to carriers attempting to add towers. Hell, it's a pain in the neck to get anything approved in my town.

4. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

T-Mobile with NNI agreements on AT&T along with GSM carriers abroad would be plausible. I doubt they would a powerhouse carrier out of the gate.

Target

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app