Apple To Reject All Apple Watch Apps That Just Tell Time!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Ledsteplin, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It appears Apple wants no competition with custom watch faces. That's too bad too, because there's not much in the way of manly looking faces. Men don't want butterflies and Mickey Mouse.
    Source: 9TO5Mac
    http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/28/apple-watch-face-app-policy/

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

A watch app that tells time serves no purpose. There's a difference between watch faces and a watch app. There's absolutely no reason for an app that tells time. From a user perspective, to have to go back into an app for the time makes no sense. Could you leave it on and just wake up? I suppose so, but it strikes at the core of how the watch is to be used. I don't fault Apple with this or no allowing fart apps.

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Your right. I would like to see more face options though.

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

More face options I agree with, but I definitely understand Apple's take on no specific app making to just tell time.

5. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Well I wouldn't call that "controlling"... LOL@Apple

6. rollinfromhell

Gold

Uh, exactly. For someone who just caved and ordered the Apple watch; I would've expected to be able to swap out my watch faces. The thousands to choose from on the Moto 360 is what made is FUN and new everyday.

Attached Files:

7. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

An app that just tells the time would technically work fine - as you could set the watch to wake on last app and just make sure you have it running. But this would be working outside the "Apple workflow" for the device, something Apple dislikes very much. This is likely why they are banning the apps. They will eventually open up the watch face screen to developers if I had to take a guess.

#7 Michael Baturin, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015
  8. rollinfromhell

Gold

Yeah, they hate anyone being able to have any freedom on their base UI. In reality though, it's a watch face. It just could be a way to exploit the watch for jailbreaking and that wouldn't go over so well.