Apple to stop selling iPhone 4 16GB and 32GB and replace it with 8GB?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by NickT916, Oct 12, 2011.

1. NickT916

NickT916 Member
    Bronze

This one i don't understand, why will Apple stop making the 16gb and the 32gb and replace it with a 8gb, they still sell very good! I tried to search this on Apple.com and only saw they will have the 8GB available and i talked to Apple and they said its true that they will only be selling the iPhone 4 8GB and the iPhone 4S models, and also possibly keep the iPhone 3GS 8GB only.

so it will be all iPhone 4S models locked and unlocked, iPhone 4 8GB locked and unlocked, and iPhone 3GS 8GB locked at stores and unlocked can be ordered on Apple.com ... at least thats what i have gathered. Anyone else know as to why they would do that or have an idea?

2. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I'm guessing it's all about price points. The 3GS and 4 will now be marketed to "basic" iPhone users, so maybe the idea is that they won't really need more than 8GB. This will keep the costs (with contract) down to $0 and $100, respectively.

So then Apple will have one phone that is free with a contract, one for $100, one for $200, one for $300, and one for $400. I bet their rationale is that if you really need more memory, you probably would be better off with a more advanced phone anyway.

Also, depending on the flash storage used, it may be a supply chain decision. Flash is still in somewhat limited supply, so maybe they have to save it for the 4S, especially now that there's a 64GB model.

3. NickT916

NickT916 Member
    Bronze

good points, but if someone has an issue with their 16gb or 32gb iPhone 4 how would they replace those under warranty, unless they will have a bunch of them laying around for replacement reasons only. I suppose if i was Apple i would want people to move up to the newer model and not stick around with the older one, thats one way to force new customers to buy the iPhone 4S

4. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

This. They don't give out "new in box" iPhones for replacements. They're all refurbished.

5. verbalj

verbalj Member
    Bronze

That actually makes a lot of sense! Well said! That doesn't happen often on the internet.