Apple TV 2 - AirPlay Problems

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by iphonewarrior, Oct 11, 2011.

1. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Hey guys,

Anyone had any issues connecting iOS 5 devices to an Apple TV 2? I cannot for the life of me connect my iPhone 4 or my iPad 1. I'm not after mirroring, I'm literally after streaming the content so I can play home video's and pictures on the big screen.

I purchased the Apple TV yesterday and thus far I have only managed to get it to speak to my MBP via home sharing <--- This alone represents a problem because it'll only work when my ATV2 is plugged into my router via an ethernet cable and will not work when on wifi. I don't know if I've got a defective ATV2?

Also, all of my devices are on iOS 5 GM. I've not seen the AirPlay icon anywhere on my devices... I'm unsure if they're just supposed to appear when an ATV2 is detected on the same network. I'm clueless.

Any ideas? I'm deeply considering returning this item as it's caused me nothing but problems.

Thanks.

2. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I get this off and on
    What I do I set timezone and then network
    then I log in to iTunes
    I also have Apple Beta on mine and the devices

3. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Tried the beta and it didn't work. I received an 'Activation Failed' warning, even though the UDID has been registered with a Dev.

4. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I never had any issues like that with my phone, iPad, and atv2 on the ios5 betas. If you don't care about mirroring, try to go back to ios 4 on the atv2 if you can. Of course, the official iOS 5 release is tomorrow, so you may just want to wait for that.

AirPlay should work through wifi or Ethernet as long as it's on the same network as your other devices.

And the beta should still work fine even if the activation failed. At least mine always did.

5. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

My iPhone 4 is running iOS 5 GM and my ATV 2 is factory. Everything works as it should 'most' of the time. Every so often my AirPlay icon won't appear on either my iPad or iPhone and I just reboot all devices and it works again. I dunno why.

6. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

yeah let's see what happens after everything is downloaded tomorrow
    Apple will help you with it too For free

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm on 4.x and I have that problem with my stock ATV2 occasionally as well. I just reboot and the Air Play icon appears.

8. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

When that happens, I just "x" the app from the multitask bar, and when it reopens it usually works.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You don't need Air Play to stream content from your computer to the ATV2. You have to pair the computer to the ATV first. A pincode will appear in iTunes on the computer and then you input it on the ATV2. After that, you can stream stuff from iTunes on your computer.

Air Play is completely different. The computer doesn't even need to be turned on. As long as you are running 4.1 or later, you should have the Air Play icon. Air Play is only compatible with certain apps. The purpose of it is to stream stuff that's on your iPhone/iPad to your ATV2. Try it with YouTube.

The Air Video app combines the two features. It allows you to stream stuff (including movies that have not been converted to the itunes-friendly format) from your computer to your phone and then kick that over from your phone to the ATV2 via Air Play. Basically, it eliminates the need for Handbrake and syncing stuff to iTunes. The iPhone is the middleman. It's a huge time saver. The movies stream flawlessly with live conversion and they pause when you get a phone call. Nearly all of my ATV2 use is with Air Video + Air Play. I occasionally use it for Netflix. Start the movie on your phone and then press the blue Air Play icon in the lower right corner. Try rebooting if you don't see it.

10. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Thank you for the replies. I still have don't see any AirPlay icons on any of my devices - or friends devices either (all on my network).

Europa, you mentioned a PIN number between the ATV2 and iTunes? I haven't seen this, I've managed to get Home Sharing working, sometimes. I'm starting to think it may be defective? Did any of you have to change any router settings or did it literally work OTB?

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

What apps did you test Air Play with? It sounds like your ATV2 might not be connected to your network. You won't see the Air Play icon if there is no ATV2 found. I didn't need to change my router settings. Mine worked fine as soon as my ATV2 was connected to my network and paired with iTunes on my computer. You don't need Home Sharing for the Apple TV. Here are the configuration directions for getting it online and paired with iTunes:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2280

12. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

That guide is for the Apple TV 1, forgive me, is this the same setup for the ATV2?

It's definitely connected to my network because I was using YouTube on the ATV2 to try and find a fix.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

14. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

15. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Since the release of iOS 5 yesterday and updating all of my devices to the official release my ATV2 has magically fixed itself.

It's great :)

16. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

funny how official software works.