Apple TV 2 and hdmi auto switch setup.

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by idmksaved, Aug 3, 2013.

1. idmksaved

idmksaved New Member

I've read forums on hdmi auto switches with Apple TV and it turns out as you know The HDMI port is "always on" so the auto switch does not switch . Making it Useless . However , I bought a cheap one on amazon from enjoy gadgets $14 with shipping.
    I tried it with my direct TV DVR. It also has "alway on" HDMI. So it did not auto switch ..
    I tired this next set up . I got a 1x2 hdmi splitter from swelldirect . $14 bucks. It needs power . So I plugged Apple TV into it . Then output to the auto switch. I toggled the power and it worked! This splitter overtook the hdmi "always on" and allowed or to be turned off because it needs power.
    Now I want to be able to sit on the couch and not have to get up to toggle the power. Simple . Get the Belkin wemo for $50 . Controls power over wifi with iPhone or Ipad. I have not tested it yet but I'm sure it will work . Now I could just change inputs on the TV . But I have all my house TVs hooked up to DVr through HDMI . Upstairs , basement and too floor. Now this gives me an easy way to go to Apple TV on all TVs. Then back to direct TV DVR.

Hope this helps for anyone that wants to auto switch to Apple TV .

Sent using iCafe app

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't have enough HDMI ports, either. Years ago, I got a 3-way HDMI splitter on Amazon (I think it was only $5). I connected it to one of the HDMI ports on the TV and then connected my Apple TV and Dish DVR to it. It works great and has a small remote control to switch sources.