Apple TV 3 Jailbreak Q

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by Jaqueen, May 22, 2012.

1. Jaqueen

Jaqueen New Member

I'm looking to purchase an Apple tv and was wondering if anyone knew the status on the newest firmware for jailbreak. I read on jailbreak matrix that there is a tethered version for ATV2 but am wondering about an untethered for ATV3. Is it in the works?

Also, I've never looked into Apple tv and recently decided to purchase one because of the air play from iPad for netflix. What are the benefits of having an ATV that is jailbroken compared to a retail one? Free movies?

Thanks,
    -Joe

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Thread moved to the iPhone Jailbreak section.

3. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

The Apple TV 3 is currently not supported by any jailbreak tool, nor will it be jailbreakable via Absinthe 2.0 (which is going to be released soon).

When/If you get an ATV 2/3 and it's jailbroken you can use Netflix right from the device :)

Benefits: being able to watch any format of video rather than iTunes compatible formats via SMB, FTP etc <----- This for me is the only major benefit and is to only reason I have jailbroken my ATV2.

As for free movies - the discussion of illegally obtained cracked/copyrighted, 'stuff' isn't allowed here at eiC.

4. Jaqueen

Jaqueen New Member

THanks for info. As for the illegally obtained movies, I was just curious as to the potential of jailbreaking the device. Is there any other benefit aside from watching other video formats? Originally, I was going to purchase a Composite AV cord to watch netflix from my iPad but for another 60 I might as well buy the ATV.

5. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I think this post just about sums up the benefits of jailbreaking the ATV2: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/01/16/why-jailbreak-apple-tv/

6. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

You don't need to be jailbroken to use Netflix though: it is available on a stock ATV.

Mike

7. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Oops, I've just realised what I wrote. You're right :)

8. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I've written that whilst thinking about something else :oops:

9. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

Don't feel too bad. One time I was having an XBMC issue and spent 20 minutes trying to get it to work so I could use Netflix--forgetting completely that I didn't need XBMC for Netflix. :)

Michael

10. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I tried using XMBC but it isn't compatible with Win Server 2003, if it is I cannot get it too work.

I use the SMB or FTP connections, they both work great wired and wirelessly.

11. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

For local content I generally just use the Media app in my jb ATV. That way I am still in the main interface should I want to use Airplay. The Media app seems a little better at playing local content too.

I use XBMC mainly for streaming from the Web. That streaming is Hulu Plus, Nitro TV, and a bunch of other "channels." Half the time I get my live news from XBMC as I am having coffee in the morning and getting ready for work (have an ATV connected to kitchen TV). I don't even get Al Jazeera with my sat subscription. But I get it just fine using XBMC (and it is actually one of the best news channels out there in my opinion).

Michael