Apple TV vs. Roku

Phreddyl

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Looks like the ATV 2 is going for $250 on eBay. That's crazy. Wondering if I should:
  • a. Sell my ATV2 and get 2 ATV3
  • b. Jailbreak my ATV2
I'm warming up to Apple TV, although we still use Roku more often. It doesn't help that my remote was non-responsive yesterday. That's tonight's project - bring my ATV2 remote back to life.
Jailbreak it. Last week I watched despicable me 2 and fruitvale station from the comfort of my couch.

Phreddyl

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
I say sell it at that price while you can. If the ATV3 is Jailbroken, those prices will drop fast.
No one has figured out how to do this yet and it's been out for a year in a half.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
No one has figured out how to do this yet and it's been out for a year in a half.
I understand that and I am also skeptical about a JB coming out anytime soon; however; I believe the reason it hasn't happened yet is because of the low demand for a JB on the ATV (compared to the iPhone). Nothing is impossible when it comes to modifying any device, I am still hoping we will see a JB on ATV3 soon but I'm not holding my breath.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Jailbreak it. Last week I watched despicable me 2 and fruitvale station from the comfort of my couch.
Now I just need to find my remote. I had it on Friday, but it didn't work. I planned on working on it this weekend, but it's still missing in action.:(

Phreddyl

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Now I just need to find my remote. I had it on Friday, but it didn't work. I planned on working on it this weekend, but it's still missing in action.:(
App on the iPhone works with it too. Although I prefer the remote.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
App on the iPhone works with it too. Although I prefer the remote.
My Apple TV has been non-responsive to the actual remote and flaky behavior from the Remote app. Was hoping to troubleshoot using the actual remote which is probably under a couch somewhere.

richardya

Silver
Sep 24, 2007
Weird. My Roku remote and the Roku app are always unresponsive.
I never have this issue with the ATV. The only issue I ever had was waking the device but that seems to have been fixed a few updates ago. The app or airplay wake it now.

radtechy

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 20, 2011
Sadly it is not, JB for ATV seems to be dead in the water.
Is it not able to be jail broken anymore?

Also if I buy a used Apple TV 2 how can I assure that it has a version of software on it that can or can't be JB?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Is it not able to be jail broken anymore?

Also if I buy a used Apple TV 2 how can I assure that it has a version of software on it that can or can't be JB?

Here is info the ATV 3 jailbreak status

I believe the current firmware for ATV2 is thetered JB only.

radtechy

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 20, 2011
So that sucks. I just picked up a chromecast and there is a way to open your own video files (mp4 only so far) and stream through google chrome browser and chrome cast it.

I would like to stream the camera roll directly but with using chromecast all I have to do save the camera roll files off the phone to the PC and now I can stream it.

As far as mirroring the iOS device it can't be done

alicepattinson

Bronze
Feb 3, 2013
Europa your a genius... I've come browsing here for awhile and have to tell you this! Your answers are always very helpful & specific. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app
yeah same here. I agree with you. She knows everything. I hope I could be like her. hehe

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
yeah same here. I agree with you. She knows everything. I hope I could be like her. hehe
You can! Just sharpen your google searching skills :D oh and increase your IQ to over 9000!

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
You can! Just sharpen your google searching skiskillsls :D oh and increase your IQ to over 9000!
So it's all Google skills? Interesting. My Google skills far eclipse those of a lot of
others, but my iDevice skills don't even come close to hers. Give people credit where it's due.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
So it's all Google skills? Interesting. My Google skills far eclipse those of a lot of
others, but my iDevice skills don't even come close to hers. Give people credit where it's due.
Relax Napoleon, look at my smilie face, I also said she had an IQ of over 9000! Respect where respect is due, Europa is the authority in iOS here!

Njshoremom4gurlz

Contributor
Silver
Sep 13, 2011
Wow I see my posts from LONG ago! I'm using xbox LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
i am still offering 1month free of my private roku channel. anyone who has a roku and is interested hit me up.
also starting like this plex thing

flightmedic

Bronze
Jun 21, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
How does Air Video compare to Beamer? I have Beamer but didn't know if there was any added value with Air Video.

I have the WD TV Live, which I like because I can plug my external HD in and play movies on it...but have been using the ATV3 a lot more lately. Everything I want to do I can do via Beamer or AirPlay, so I'm glad I bought the WD unit half price second hand; I don't feel so bad about the out of pocket for tech that just sits in a drawer now.

Jim

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
How does Air Video compare to Beamer? I have Beamer but didn't know if there was any added value with Air Video.

I have the WD TV Live, which I like because I can plug my external HD in and play movies on it...but have been using the ATV3 a lot more lately. Everything I want to do I can do via Beamer or AirPlay, so I'm glad I bought the WD unit half price second hand; I don't feel so bad about the out of pocket for tech that just sits in a drawer now.

Jim
If you're using it with an Apple TV, Beamer is better because it's more stable. You're better off taking out the middle man and streaming directly. Air Video works great on iDevices, but it has occasional hiccups when you use it in conjunction with AirPlay - especially if you pause the video for an extended period. I've been using Beamer for several months now and haven't had a single glitch. I sometimes leave the videos paused for days at a time. They likelihood that Air Video would crash after being reopened at that point is 100%, in my experience.

flightmedic

Bronze
Jun 21, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
Thanks, Europa. The idea of a cross device server platform is intriguing but as I said, I'm pretty happy with my current set up.

Jim