Apple TV + Windows 8

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by trnsilver, Sep 10, 2013.

1. trnsilver

trnsilver Zealot
    Gold

I've been interested in getting an Apple TV for quite some time, mostly because I love streaming stuff from my computer to the TV.

I have a PS3 but ever since upgrading to Windows 8, the PS3 Media Server has become a struggle and unreliable, and the Windows Media Server is equally bad/annoying.

I was just wondering about the compatibility with Windows 8 and streaming of media from a Windows computer. I know it may not accept wmv files, but I assume anything else (mp4, avi, etc.) would work perfectly fine.

2. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Can't speak to the compatibility with windows 8 apart from saying Apple TV PC streaming works via iTunes. it doesn't do much directly with windows.

but I can tell you the supported video formats are not as open as you are thinking. Apple TV only natively supports Apple video and audio formats - no avi, MKV, flv, wmv, etc.

but you can get an iOS app like Air Video which will convert any video file from your computer on the fly and airplay it to the AppleTV. it's not ideal, but it works.

The other option is you can get a used, discontinued Apple TV 2, which is jailbreakable so you can install third party software that supports more formats. problem is they run over $200 because they are in such high demand.

So with all that said... maybe a roku would be better for your situation. unless you really want to airplay stuff from iOS devices.

3. trnsilver

trnsilver Zealot
    Gold

No, I have no need to airplay anything from an iOS device, actually. However, Roku doesn't have WatchESPN, which is a slight downer.

Also, I thought you needed something else (like a third-party program or app or something) aside from Roku to stream media. Am I wrong?

To clarify: I'm streaming from a Windows 8 laptop.

4. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I honestly don't know much about Rokus, but I'm pretty sure you can easily set them up to stream.

So yeah... to stream to an Apple TV you would either need to import all your stuff into iTunes, or use a video streaming iOS app like Air Video and then AirPlay the video to the Apple TV through your iOS device.

5. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

I find this works great. It does tie up your iDevice, but if you have an iPad or 2nd iPhone then it is not a problem. You can also be at a friend's house and AirPlay your Air Video files right to their ATV. Air Video can be a little sticky sometimes over the Internet or a cell connection, but it works pretty good generally. Gives you a huge library at your fingertips without using all that space on your iPhone.