Apple TV with multiple accounts

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by Smarty2600, May 13, 2012.

1. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

In my family we have 3 different iTunes accounts and I was thinking of getting the Apple tv but I'm unsure of how easy it is deal with different accounts. One specific question is can all the iDevices use AirPlay to send music and apps to the Apple tv regardless of what account each device is hooked to. And when you get the Apple tv do you log in to one account on the Apple tv itself? Does iCloud automatically bring in some data? And what about photo stream? And what account do you use to buy and rent movies/tv shows?

I guess my confusion stems from my assumption that when you get an Apple tv you log on with one iTunes account? Can you log out of that account and switch easily to another account? Do you need to switch accounts to use AirPlay with devices hooked up to different accounts?

I suppose anyone with multiple iTunes accounts and the Apple tv can share their experiences and any difficulties they have experienced?

2. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

COnnecting a device to the AppleTV is not based on the iTunes account, it's based on being connected to the same WiFi network I believe.

I'm not sure about the photo stream and iCloud stuff.

As far as renting movies, you can log into the iTunes account of your choice for that.

3. Essruu

Essruu New Member

You will only be able to be logged in to one of your three iTunes accounts at any one time, so each account's rentals/purchases will only be viewable when you're logged in to that account. Inputting info using the standard remote is a complete pain though - scroll to a letter, click enter, scroll to another letter, click enter etc.! - but use Apple's iPhone/iPod/iPad Remote app and it's fine (works well selecting or changing music, movies etc too).

With sending media to your Apple TV using AirPlay, all three of your accounts/devices can do this no matter which one is logged in to the Apple TV. Each device would just need to be connected to the same wireless network as the Apple TV. You aren't restricted to having only registered devices able to airPlay to your ATV though: so, if a friend comes round with their iOS device, they can show you their photos, play you their music, show you their movies etc in the same way as long as they're on your wireless network. There is an option on the ATV settings to have a password required when AirPlaying anything to it. I've never used this and can't see the point - other than to stop other people in the house AirPlaying rubbish music that you don't what to listen to!

PS. The Apple TV2 is brilliant- just get one :)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the replies the Apple tv seems like a great family device, and I definitely lean towards getting one! I glad to hear that AirPlay is so flexible with any device. But I'm still curious how does iCloud interact with the Apple tv?

5. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

iCloud is tied to an iTunes account. Photo Stream works via iCloud, this is something which is viewable on the ATV.

6. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

7. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Your reason is one good reason to have a password. Another is so that if you are watching or playing something on the AppleTV and your kids think it would be funny to interrupt by playing something from their devices, they can't.

As far as multiple iTunes accounts on a single device, it is my understand that it is easier to manage multiple accounts now with the latest software update that came out this week.