Apple Upgrade Program discussion

Discussion in 'iPhone 6S' started by imutter, Sep 9, 2015.

1. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Is anyone switching from their carrier option to the new Apple Update program?
    [​IMG]

2. B89rent89

B89rent89 Member
    Bronze

I may go the Apple Update route. Depends on particulars. I'd stay with current carrier, but with unlocked phone, it looks like I could change carriers with every upgrade. Am I correct in thinking that I would pre-order and have to pick up in an Apple Store or is delivery an option also? On initial sign up would I have to give them my current phone or does that only apply at the time of the first upgrade, one year from now? Just paid off my NEXT iPhone 6 plus at AT&T in anticipation of starting anew on NEXT with a 6s.

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I thought about it, but I think I'll let others beta test it for a year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Can we port our phone #'s? I have an Android device on one of my lines so I'm not sure how it will work out. The plan pricing will also have to be lower for me to switch because I get a 26% FAN discount with my employer.

5. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

@ZR_Yancy the Apple program is not tied to the Carriers as I see it.
    You may choose any carrier unlocked phone. Then you choose your service. I am not certain if the bill will be attached to your carrier or you pay Apple and so you would be subjected to a credit check ?
    I am with Napoleon,I let others test it first.

6. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

Being able to sell my iPhone for $600+ and payoff the $400-$450 I'll still owe still leaves me with $150-$200 in my pocket every year. I can use that to buy Applecare+ myself, or not. Seems like the better deal to still buy with carriers, as long as you're willing to sell on Craigslist or eBay every year (and you keep the phone in great condition).

7. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I just called AT&T because I was not eligible for the NEXT plan until April 2016 and they changed it!!:ROFLMAO: I am now eligible for the NEXT program and I didn't even have to "steal" my DH's NEXT eligibility like I thought I had to. An AT&T rep suggested I use his eligibility earlier this week and I was seriously considering it. I call today to ask how that would work. If I took his NEXT program would he get my April 2016 NEXT program upgrade date, and without me even asking they just bumped me up to now!

I'm thinking they are going to be more lenient with people in moving their upgrade dates since Apple decided to throw their hat in the ring with the Apple Upgrade option. AT&T as well as other carriers have a new competitor, if you will.

So if you're upgrade date is not anytime soon, give AT&T a call and see what they can do for you. You might be pleasantly surprised! (y)

I love my AT&T!!

8. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

That's great! I should have tried this before paying off my iPhone 6 Plus. But, either way I was going to sell my iPhone and use the proceeds to make the payoff. I guess only difference in my case is I owe a credit card company the payoff when I get it vs AT&T. Since I'll be selling and paying it off within a month anyways, there's no interest involved so its just an order of operations thing. Good to hear AT&T doing something for the customer.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

She subsided her 6 Plus, so it's a little bit different situation. Verizon would absolutely take her phone at this point since she's only halfway through her contract, but luckily she is with AT&T and they will let her keep it. I think your plan for getting another Next phone was perfect. It's the same thing I'm doing.

10. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

@Europa :oops: Thanks for clearing that up and make it more understandable. My situation is a tad different than some others.

11. robinhooddaffy

Bronze

question about all this upgrade with Apple.

It says that is a 2 year plan. Ok with Next, I am on a 2 year Next program, I have to payoff the balance to upgrade with ATT before the 2 years are up. So, if I do the Apple upgrade, after the 1 year, do I have to pay off the 2nd year balance or just get a new iphone?

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You turn the phone in at Apple after a year and get a new one.

13. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

So, if I'm understanding how this could work, were I to use Apple's own program, in a year's time, I'd turn in my then year-old 6S (covered w/ Care+), and would then be able to get the putative 7 under a new/renewed agreement with no other out-of-pocket costs? That seems too good to be true.

14. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

Well you will never pay off a phone that way. It is similar to leasing a car. You will always have a payment. If you pay the phone off, it is yours to keep. If you don't after one year you must turn the phone in similar to leasing a car.

15. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

Sounds like a plan ... I'm wondering if they'd give me a trade-in credit on my Dec. 2013 5S or whether I'd be able to keep it as a backup/"just-in-case" device ...

16. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/reuse_and_recycle

You can get an online gift card by sending it to Apple or taking it to an Apple Store. I plugged in the price for a Silver 32GB 5S locked to AT&T with no damage and they offered $165. You might be better selling it either through eBay or another service. If you can afford it it would be a nice backup.

17. NeilL

NeilL New Member

With AT&T Next (as I understand it) there is also a reduction in the monthly service fee. I assume that they would handle a phone acquired through the Apple plan and activated with AT&T as a "Smartphone with 2-year agreement" in terms of monthly fees. If true, wouldn't this be adding the difference between $40/month and $15/month (or $25/month for < 5GB) to the total cost of the deal.

Does anyone know how that would work?

18. robinhooddaffy

Bronze

I talked to our local ATT store and they said that it would be the "Bring your own Phone" option of $25.00 a month

19. NeilL

NeilL New Member

That would make it somewhat better.

Thanks

20. B89rent89

B89rent89 Member
    Bronze

When you read about Apple Upgrade on Apple.com or watch a video on CNET explaining it or any other description of it, it's never stated wether you have to "pay off" the 2nd year installments when the 12 months are up. They just say that you make the 12 payments, get the new phone and restart making payments. They do make the point that you turn in your current phone but that must be after the first year on the plan. I just paid off the entire balance on my 6+ which was on the AT@T NEXT program. Apple can't want me to give them that phone at the start of the Apple Upgrade program, can they? If that were the case, what of folks who own some other brand or no phone at all? Can they get in on the Apple Upgrade deal? I'm planning to "register" for Apple Upgrade but Apple's going to have fill in all the details to my satisfaction before I pull the trigger. I'll always have the AT@T NEXT option to fall back on if I'm not satisfied with Apple's plan. Getting a new phone on the the first day of availability has never been an issue for me. The only time I've picked one up in Apple Store or a carrier's store was with my 1st, a 3G, at an Apple Store long after its release. No hassles, no wait.