Apple USB charging cords

RRlocoENGR

Bronze
Jun 15, 2009
I will start a new topic here since I have not seen anyone mention this subject.

I have a Classic 80 GB iPod and just purchased the iPhone 3GS. I am out of town this morning and left the USB charging cord and A/C charging adapter that came with the 3GS at home. I packed in my computer bag the iPod, as always, and assumed that the USB charging cord for it would also charge the 3GS...WRONG!

The iPod, of course, will charge with it's USB cord while connected to my laptop or to the A/C wall adapter as it always has. The 3GS will not charge either place using that USB cord. That is strange, because it looks the same as the one at home that came with the phone.

Am I stupid to have thought it should work? Anyone else find this out the hard way?

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Thats' really strange. I know that certain A/C adaptor's will charge iPods but not iPhones but I didn't think the cable actually mattered.

RRlocoENGR

Bronze
Jun 15, 2009
Thats' really strange. I know that certain A/C adaptor's will charge iPods but not iPhones but I didn't think the cable actually mattered.

Yeah, I would have thought it would have worked...again, they look the same. Go figure. I always assumed (of course I know what happens when I assume anything) that USB cords and the A/C adapters are all universal, even the ones that are not Apple.

Anyone else care to speculate?:eek:

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Ive had issues charging my 3gs too. I have been told that the voltage for the 3gs is different, and that could be the difference. However, if you are using an Apple charger then i have no idea.

RRlocoENGR

Bronze
Jun 15, 2009
Ive had issues charging my 3gs too. I have been told that the voltage for the 3gs is different, and that could be the difference. However, if you are using an Apple charger then i have no idea.
Let me clarify one part of the scenario. I am trying to charge using the iPod USB cord and a third party A/C adapter that came with my Richard/Solo battery backup. That should not come into play, once again, I would think anything USB should work. This setup will charge the iPod, but not the 3GS.

The kicker is that when I plug the iPod USB cord into my laptop, it will charge the iPod but not the 3GS...thanks for the comments so far, I am baffled!:p

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
The problem is the cord. this is the same problem that was seen when people upgraded from the V1 to the 3G and found that some of their cables didn't work. Apple apparently made a change from the Firewire charging connection to a USB charging connection.
Some older wires do not support this and will not charge the 3G and now apparently the 3Gs.
When connected to a computer, it should not matter, but it can play a role with A/C charging and more often D/C or car charging. More importantly, if you see the phone charging off an old accessory, it doesn't always mean it's a good thing as it might be receiving the incorrect voltage.

RPMSTL

Bronze
Jun 22, 2009
My 80gig ipod cable charges my 3gs just fine connected to the usb port on a computer - it is the original 80g pod not the reworked 'classic' which is slimmer and has a diff battery.

I have a car charger from Sendstation that will NOT work with the 3gs. After a minute or so, the phone starts beeping the light on the charger starts flashing.

I have not tried the original 80gig charger mounted to the 3gs 115v adapter, yet.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
There are two issues at play here:

1. The aforementioned Firewire/USB changeover.

2. The iPhone is *very* picky about voltage. A little off either too high or too low and it will not charge. You see this mostly with third-party USB power sources like battery packs, cars, and lighter plug adapters.

I have an external battery pack that will not charge with the stock cable but will with a 3rd party voltage regulated one. Same on many airplanes.

Paul830

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Alright, maybe this is a stupid question, but how do you tell one cord from the other? I've already mixed all my cords... I have my V1 cord, 3G cord and 3GS cord and several other Apple cords... I can't tell any difference between the cords... If Apple has made a change in the cords then they should have marked each cord with the product it is to be used with...

Mr5150

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
All of my cords work with all of my iPhone ipods, no prob. All USB type used with PC or factory adapter...

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
This does not work with my iPhone 3gs and in car charger. It still says accessory does not support charging. The problem is with the voltage.

The iPhone is protecting itself from being over / under charged which would cause damage. I think Apple may have changed the voltage required to charge a 3gs, as it only seems to not charge when using DC or car chargers... just my opinion though

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
The problem is the cord. this is the same problem that was seen when people upgraded from the V1 to the 3G and found that some of their cables didn't work. Apple apparently made a change from the Firewire charging connection to a USB charging connection.
Some older wires do not support this and will not charge the 3G and now apparently the 3Gs.
When connected to a computer, it should not matter, but it can play a role with A/C charging and more often D/C or car charging. More importantly, if you see the phone charging off an old accessory, it doesn't always mean it's a good thing as it might be receiving the incorrect voltage.
Hey Hawk,

I just bought a car charger from Walmart that works for the V1 and 3G iPhone. Paid about $12.00 for it. Will it work on my new 3GS ? TIA. Cheers !

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I have no idea. I would say yes since I don't see a difference between the 3Gs and the 3G as far as charging setup. The difference is in the battery size.

And that is something I still don't understand. The original iPhone has a 1400mh battery - the largest of the 3 versions. The 3G Appl took all the way down to 1150 and there are more components in the phone, meaning less space for the battery, and then with the 3gs went up to a 12something, with even more components in the phone, but with newer battery tech. Makes you wonder if they are choosing batteries based more on size than on actual storage capacity.

Paul830

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Hi guys....
Can someone please tell me if the phones require different cords, then how do you tell them apart? To me they all look the same. If the pinout is different shouldn't there be some kind of designation on the cord clearly stating this? I can see Apple making internal changes to the iPhones/iPods to control voltage but changing the USB cords and not marking them device specific would not be in anyones best interest.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Hi guys....
Can someone please tell me if the phones require different cords, then how do you tell them apart? To me they all look the same. If the pinout is different shouldn't there be some kind of designation on the cord clearly stating this? I can see Apple making internal changes to the iPhones/iPods to control voltage but changing the USB cords and not marking them device specific would not be in anyones best interest.
They do not require different leads (official Apple leads anyway). The V1 3g and 3gs cable (usb cable) will all work to sync / charge all ipods and iPhones. You should only experience difficulty if you plug it into anything other than a computer. Also, the computer must have Apple's device drivers which are installed when you plug the iPhone / ipod in.

Hope this helps

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Well, if the cable is bought from Apple, there shouldn't be a problem.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA591G/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOQ&mco=MjE1NTI2NQ

However, the same cannot always be said about 3rd party cables. And I know that Apple has a smart chip in their composite cables like these:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB129LL/B?fnode=MTY1NDA0OQ&mco=MTUzMzI1OQ And nearly all aftermarket version do not, and will not work for items that were made 2007 and newer.

I don't know if that's the case with the regular USB cable, but it's definitely possible so that Apple can make sure you are buying from them.