Apple v At&t

chill101

Jul 13, 2008
Why is it that some people have to go to AT&T to get their iPhone instead of buying it at an Apple store? Does it have to do with changing plans or adding lines?

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
my guess is that it mainly has to do with location. many of us don't have an Apple store as close as some of you guys do. theyre might be 1 Apple store within an hour of driving but theyll be 5 att stores in that same distance. you see what im saying?

chill101

Jul 13, 2008
what I meant was that there is some message on Apples system that prevents people from buying a phone from Apple - they HAVE to buy it at AT&T. i'm just unsure as to why that is

Oct 4, 2007
San Francisco
If you have a corporate account and want to use a 3G iPhone with that account you have to go to an AT&T store.

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
OH my bad i totally misread your question lol yeah i think the guy above me got it right

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
apparently too, some of us current iPhone users have to go to the AT&T store for no more reason (from AT&T) than were current iPhone customers.....

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I'll have to buy my 3G at an AT&T this time around. Will I still be able to go to an Apple store for warranty issues or will I be turned away? I remember when I bought my first nano from a non Apple store and when it broke the Genius said it would have to get mailed in instead of warranty replaced in the store.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
If you have a corporate discount, then you need to go to AT&T to buy the iPhone 3G without lifting your discount.

AT&T stores here were sold out, so I had to go to an Apple Store and lift my discount.

I reinstated my discount on Saturday.

mwal32

Jul 9, 2008
Princeton, NJ
If you have a corporate discount, then you need to go to AT&T to buy the iPhone 3G without lifting your discount.

AT&T stores here were sold out, so I had to go to an Apple Store and lift my discount.

I reinstated my discount on Saturday.
How hard was it to get the discount lifted? Did you j ust call ATT?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
There were a few reasons I went to an AT&T instead of Apple. The first reason was that I knew AT&T would be no where near as busy as an Apple store. The second reason was that because the iPhone 3G required in store activation I thought it would be better to go to an AT&T store where they do activations in store all the time. Apple was just trained for the new iPhone and still may be a bit inexperienced.

If I had waited to get the phone until say sometime this week or in the future, I would say go to an Apple store as they probably have gotten most of the kinks worked out.