APPLE vs. AT&T (i just want a new phone)

wellz

Aug 5, 2008
ATLanta, GA
hows it going folks? well heres my dilemma
i got my 3G exactly two weeks through direct fullfilment through ATT. I noticed when i got my phone that at the top of the screen the rubber gasket wasn't sealed completely. didn't pay no mind to it, with all of the different issues that are going on with the iPhone, i let this slide. I also noticed that left side of screen and top were raised a little above the bezel. Where if you were to rub your finger around the edges you could feel how the screen offset. The right side and the bottom right were still pretty seemless. But until recently ive noticed the space where the rubber gasket has grown and lent is starting to get into the phone. and the screen has now raised to every corner except one. No drops while having my phone, no scrathes either.
So i figured let me take this phone back and see if i could get one that AT LEAST has a sealed rubber gasket so that lint doesn't get inside the device. i live like toward the west of atlanta and drove all the way up to buckhead to lenox malls Apple store in hopes to get my phone exchanged. well, whattayakno... "..because you did not purchase the phone at our store, don't have a lenox receipt, we cant do anything for you.. take it up with ATT.." okay, im a lil ticked. but its all good, ill stop by ATT to see wat theyll do the next day. "..sorry, no store manager available to do the "override" so that you don't get charged to your account.." WWOOOOOOOWW. okay. got me a bunch of numbers from the salesperson to call up a few ATT stores. called that exact store a little while ago and the MANAGER says im suppose to take it up w/Apple. i told him im not drivin all the way to lenox again so that they can tell me to come here. hes supposedly doin the "leg work" for me to see if i can get a new phone.

did anybody else have to deal with all this when returning a phone? and has anybody returned their phone with the same problem?

sorry for the long write-up.. im ventin a tiny bit if u can tell. and Thanks in advance for any help icafe-ers.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
That really doesn't make sense. AT&T in NO WAY services the iPhone. That is Apple's job and Apple is also the only place where you can get a replacement iPhone for a hardware or software defect. I didn't purchase my iPhone 3G at an Apple store but a week after iDay 2 I went into an Apple store and had my iPhone exchanged because of a problem with the bezel.

I would recommend returning to Apple and refusing to leave until they give you a new, replacement iPhone. You have a 1-year manufacturer's warranty against hardware and software defects that APPLE will take care of. Best of luck.

HBOC

Bronze
Aug 4, 2008
Portland, Oregon
yes, Apple should take care of it, no matter where you bought it. I could understand a receipt of proof of purchase for this, however.

good luck

wellz

Aug 5, 2008
ATLanta, GA
yes, Apple should take care of it, no matter where you bought it. I could understand a receipt of proof of purchase for this, however.

good luck
i actually just came back from lunch a little while ago and talked to the Apple store about this over the phone. they said whoever i talked to had no idea wat they were talking about and were flat out wrong. so im going up there this friday to exchange my phone. set up an appointment with tha GENIUS'.

has anybody dealt with this problem on their phone though? as far as the rubber gasket and screen issue?

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
just make sure you set the appointment first. If you drive there again they may have you come back another day. This happened to me

daddyd302

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
I bought my iPhone from AT&T, and when I had issues with it, I took it to Apple. Now the genius is trying to tell me that it's a software issue, and I told him, no way, I restored it so many times and it's still doing it, it's a hardware issue. He plugs up my iPhone to his Mac, and itune freezes, he restarts iTunes and again it freezes. He finally agrees with me, and gives me another one. No receipt needed for me, I think they got my info from my iPhone's number.