Apple warranty

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by JaniceH, Feb 10, 2013.

1. JaniceH

JaniceH Member
    Bronze

I'm thinking of buying a used iPhone 5. It has a non functioning lock/sleep button. I know if that was its only issue the Apple store would likely replace it for me. My problem is that the back has been scratched a bit and has one small dent. It functions perfectly except for the button. Will the dent cause me to be denied to warranty the button? Thanks..

Sent using iCafe app

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Hello. Unfortunately it is hard for us to answer this question. From my own knowledge, when you buy used from someone else other than Apple, you buy it as is and will have to pay to have any issues fixed. However, it won't hurt you to go to an Apple authorized store to ask.

Where are you thinking about buying the iPhone from? From what you mentioned, I would try to find a better condition iPhone. Used is fine, but one that doesn't have non functioning issues.

Sent using iCafe app

3. JaniceH

JaniceH Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the response Money Maker. My previous experience with the Apple warranty has been fantastic. A couple years ago my boss gave me his iPhone 4 when he changed carriers. The home button was glitchy. Also, the screen was cracked. Went to the Apple store to get the button addressed, figured I'd have to invest some cash to fix the screen and they gave me a new refurb phone. I think the same thing would happen today, just wanted to confirm my thoughts. Apple is awesome !

Sent using iCafe app

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Apple is definitely understanding to their customers and very appreciative. They should try their best to help you out.

Sent using iCafe app

5. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Apple changed return policy significantly w/release of 4S and AppleCare+
    That's not to say you won't get lucky, but the days of the very liberal policy are over.
    From my experience, any time there is physical damage, they try to sell you the AppleCare+, which might not be a bad option for you. It would extend the current warranty, cover you for future physical damage w/a $49 deductible and provide phone support for the duration of AppleCare+.....

6. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

I would like to k ow the results. When I got my 5 I got the AppleCare and the guy said the warranty only transfers over to phones received from the Apple store not online or with private sellers. I'm along w/the idea they changed their policy after the 4S. I hope they take care of it for you. Remember to post afterwards and let us know the outcome.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The standard AppleCare is good for one year and automatically transfers to the new owner if you sell the phone within that Year. AppleCare+ is a little different. You can transfer it to the new owner or you can get a prorated refund based on the number of remaining coverage months. Personally, I would return it for the partial refund because transferring AppleCare+ requires that you give personal information to the new owner, and I wouldn't want them to have that. I don't even use my primary number for Craigslist sales.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That shouldn't be a problem. Schedule a Genius Bar appointment. They'll repair or exchange it for you for free. :)

9. Link182kidd

Link182kidd Member
    Bronze

Done this loads of times with iPhone that i have got hold of second hand in the past gone right to Apple and had a brand new one. Book an appointment and enjoy.

Sent using iCafe app

10. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

I cracked my screen on my ip5 last week and went in to see how much to fix. They replaced it free with no AppleCare.

Sent using iCafe app

11. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

How'd you do that?

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

A dislike? I was joking. Never mind. Post deleted.

13. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1360630903.735705.jpg

Sent using iCafe app

14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Yep. I'm going to have to not joke with certain members, I guess. Sad. This is the first time I've had to do this. Heck, I used a smiley and everything! :D

15. JaniceH

JaniceH Member
    Bronze

Thanks for all the help.. Sorry to say, my deal fell through. Guy acted weird when I asked him for the serial number so I could verify that the phone wasn't stolen or blacklisted. My gut told me to run, so I listened. Better luck another day...

Sent using iCafe app

16. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Wow! I am glad you did not go through with it. For others to know as well, where was this deal or sale being taken place? If online such as Craigslist, that can definitely be risky/dangerous.

17. JaniceH

JaniceH Member
    Bronze

Hey, MoneyMaker.. It was on a website called Kijiji that we use a lot here in Canada. I have personally found lots of great things on it from reliable sellers. And have sold a ton of things myself. I love this site but buyers have to educate themselves on what to watch for and listen to their gut.

Sent using iCafe app

18. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

That seems like a website that we are familiar with as well, eBay. Even we have to be cautious as well. Sometimes people on there do not post all of the details or issues that is wrong with what we are buying. Hope you find a better seller; one that will provide you with information to let you know that nothing fishy is going on!

19. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I always meet at the carrier store and have them check the phone before I hand over the cash.. Anyone who knows its stolen or blacklisted wont want to meet at the carrier store..

20. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

That's exactly right, however sometimes transactions take place not at an actual businesss location and no paperwork. This is definitely risky. Look at the phone before you hand over the cash.