Apple Watch 2, First Rumors: FaceTime camera, iPhone-free Wi-Fi, ...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Rafagon, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

2. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

See ? If true this is consistent with planned obsolescence. I mentioned that the reason Apple watch lacked a camera is because this would be an inexpensive tweak to justify v2. My next prediction is a 720P camera for the new MacBook:D

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Anyone who expects Apple to not come out with a better model next year is a bit naive. It's the same thing with Android phones and many other products. They never give you everything you want this year. You wouldn't buy next year's model if they did. Plus, they can't feasibly include everything that will be a thing in the future because it isn't thought of yet or is still in the very early stages of developement. For example, the iPhone 3G didn't come with a fingerprint scanner or an Apple Pay chip for a good reason other than "planned obsolescence." Also, parts get cheaper every year so they can add upgrades while charging the same price.

4. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Thank you, you just described planned obsolescence. That's exactly what I mean.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

At least their products have good resale value. That way you can upgrade every year without paying full cost and always have the best specs.

I still think people are going to look kinda silly using their watches for FaceTime and pictures (sort of like using an iPad for photos), but I guess it will be new, fun and fulfill their childhood tech fantasies.

6. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Europa I agree, I for one will upgrade, I just don't have the stomach for the obvious slow and incremental pace of innovation design to squeeze every penny out of us. Yes I pay gladly and enjoy the product, I'm just venting.

7. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

The key element of planned obsolescence is design with an artificially limited useful life. I'm just not a subscriber to the belief that Apple creates any product and intentionally omits features that it is fully capable of including at the time of release. If a feature is not included, it is my opinion that it is because the hardware, software, or combined user experience isn't yet elevated to Apple's standards. Products on the leading edge of consumer technology will always see year-over-year improvements, a corollary to Moore's Law.

8. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Your opinion is easily defeated when looking at the camera of the new MacBook;)

9. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

First I'll comment on the iFixit article. They say "the Apple Watch has intentional obsolescence built into it as it will become technologically redundant as processors become faster and apps are supported only by the newest models." iFixit is viewing obsolescence from the perspective of the ability to replace components with newer, better versions in the future. This process of hardware getting faster, etc. is not at all related to planned obsolescence.

As for the camera in the new MacBook, that is indeed a puzzling choice on Apple's part. That being said, I still don't believe that Apple's intent in choosing that particular camera for that device was driven by a plan to be able to sell another upgraded MacBook more easily next year. Apple has a corporate history of lagging behind the technology edge in some areas, and I view it as just another Apple decision that leaves the tech-savvy among us shaking our heads. I think it's just Apple being Apple, making decisions and telling us what they think we need in our hardware and software. A case of Apple knows best. And for the record, I often disagree with their decisions.

10. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I can see an argument against the planned obsolescence statement I made, fair enough. As for this statement, 480P is more than "lagging behind", lagging behind would have been 720P LOL. On this I think Apple chose profits over their core philosophy of quality. I anticipate version 2 to have 720P. I LOVE apple buy my love is not blind :)

11. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

We agree. Apple is severely lagging on the camera issue. And I still can't fathom why they chose a 480p camera, but it wasn't simply a case of choosing profits over features when an 8mp camera only costs about $11.00 in the quantities they buy. Just boggles the mind.

12. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I agree, I could even justify in my mind a 720P camera! I think even if these cameras are dirt cheap when you take into account how many notebooks they sale it could mean millions in savings.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't think including a better camera on the MacBooks would result in millions in savings. I've met very few people outside of forums who know the specs of their electronics. They want the MacBook for many reasons and will buy it regardless of the camera, but most of them don't even know the specs on the camera.

Don't get me wrong; I agree that Apple shows no love to their FaceTime cameras (front-facing cameras on the iPhone and the camera on their computers). I'm baffled by this as well since a good one is a fairly cheap part. I just don't think it makes a big difference in profits. If I were in the market for a laptop, the camera wouldn't stop me from getting a MacBook. Would it stop you?

14. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I meant due to the cost of the parts not the number of units sold because of the parts. I figured that if the camera module is even 30 cents cheaper then those 30 cents saved would add up after millions of units sell.

15. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Oh and the only reason I passed on the new MacBook is because it didn't meet my usage needs. I LOVE my MacBook Pro!

16. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

It's a good thing the only camera that matters to me is my Canon 7D

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

DSLR cameras are too cumbersome to carry everywhere you go. You don't take any pictures with your iPhone? It's the only camera I use anymore since it's always with me and it takes pretty good photos.

18. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

I always have my iPhone 6 plus camera with me, but if I know I'll be at an event or location that may afford interesting photos I grab my Nikon D5500 bag. I always end up taking a handful of iPhone pics even if I am carrying the Nikon. Sometimes to be discreet and other times just because I want to immediately make use of the shot.

19. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

image.jpg image.jpg
    Sure, I use the camera on my phone. But I don't think the camera feature would be a selling point for me. It's great that it's there, but for any serious photography it's the Canon all the way. With a 500mm lens on it, it is a worthy match for a Formula One Ferrari blasting past in the blink of an eye.