Apple Watch 42mm and Pebble Steel side-by-side

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iErik, Apr 13, 2015.

1. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

Hi everyone! I was able to order a 42mm stainless steel with white sports band on launch night and got the first delivery window. I've been keeping up with all the forum and news hype which included a lot of pics that show the watch on people's wrists. I have to say, some made the watch look absolutely gigantic. It made my question the size I preordered so I made an appointment to go try them on.

First thing Is have to say is these watches look a lot smaller in person. As I waited for my appointment I was looking at the watches that were behind glass. The 38mm was tiny and the 42mm seemed just about right ... at least for my wrist (6 feet, 170 lbs, 170mm wrist circumference). Trying on the watch confirmed this. I didn't even bother trying the 38mm, the 42 was perfect.

I didn't take any pictures of it on my wrist, there are plenty of those floating around now, but I did snap a picture to compare the size of a Pebble Steel to the 42mm. As you can see they are almost identical in size. The Apple watch is probably a bit smaller but has so much more screen real estate. So if you have a Steel and like the fit, go with the 42.

I did try a few bands, too, since I want to order a secondary one. I tried the leather loop, sport and Milanese. My least favorite was the Milanese. I'm just not a fan of the texture, but it was very comfortable and secure. Glad the sport was super comfortable since that was the one I have coming with the watch. Ultimately I went with the blue leather loop since it was dressier, but not over the top.

The try-on appointment just got me more excited for this watch. I'm really hoping it arrives the 24th!

Attached Files:

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Pebble certainly made a lot of improvements with the Steel. Still not a fan of the look. I agree with you on the size. I had a similar feeling when comparing the 42mm vs 38mm. My go-to watch is a J.Crew military Timex. The 42mm was bigger, but not by much. And it isn't anything like my larger Breitling.

3. hoits2000

hoits2000 Member
    Bronze

Thanks for posting this! I bought a Pebble Steel as a "gateway" smart watch. The Apple Watch has everything that the pebble lacks. I was curious at the size difference and this helps.

4. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

The Steel was also my starter smart watch. Wanted to make sure I'd actually wear the thing for more than a few weeks before putting down the cash for an Apple Watch. I've really enjoyed having it and it's served me well but I'm really looking forward to trading up to the Apple Watch ... it's just going to be a better experience.