Apple Watch Battery Life

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bballrob, Jan 10, 2017.

1. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I'm wondering if anyone else has recently noticed a significant change in their battery life. I have the original Apple Watch Sport Edition.

Yesterday, when I arrived home around 5:30 PM, I noticed that I was just below 40%. That seemed less than normal, and I went and put it on the charger for a half hour since I had to go referee some basketball games in the evening and I like to make sure I get full credit for my moving time and even exercising time. I didn't look to see how much it got charged to before I left, but it was plenty, as when I got home later in the evening it was still over 40%.

Today, I put it on when I got up, around 5:45 AM like normal. As I was getting ready to head home for lunch, I noticed I was at 44%, which is really low for mid day for me. By the time I got home, I was down to 41%, so I charged it while I was home, about 45 minutes, and when I left it was up to 94%.

Anyone else been having issues or notice any drastic changes lately? There hasn't been a recent update, so I don't think that's it. I also haven't changed my usage really, so it just doesn't make sense.

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I don’t own an Apple Watch so I can only speculate based on what I find online.

I am reading over at this Apple support document that operating the watch in temperatures lower than 32° F or higher than 95° F could negatively affect battery life. Given where you live, I’m sure you’re probably guilty of the former.

Just a thought. Good luck!

3. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

A good read, and good points, however, having lived in Alaska my whole life, we're smart enough to stay out of those extreme temperatures as much as possible.

That being said, I did walk home from work yesterday, and the weather was about 3 degrees above zero at the time. I was out walking in that for just over 10 minutes.

I should also change the avatar for my account to match one of my current license plates. The location hasn't changed. Only the inscription on the plate.

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

How do your limbs still function at 3 degrees above zero? Mine start shutting down at around 45° F and I curl into the fetal position until something (or someone) warms me up. :D

5. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

The key is to KEEP MOVING!

6. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

No changes. I am usually at ~75% end of day and down to about ~35% after two days if I decide to skip the night charge to monitor my sleep. My daily usage is checking time (20x), appointments/fantastical2 (10x), weather/carrot (5x), actions/Omnifocus (5x), responding to messages (10x), activating workout (1x), nav/Googlemaps (.5x), and entering a reminder through Siri (5x).

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue?

Here’s how to at least keep getting the time from the contraption when your battery gets too low:

http://osxdaily.com/2017/01/21/enter-exit-power-reserve-apple-watch/

I know this doesn’t help answer your original question, but at least you’ll be able to tell the time rather than just have a brick on your wrist.

8. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

Same here. I got mine about six months after the Apple Watch was released. Functions like it's still day one.

9. overthemoon

overthemoon New Member

Had mine well over a year, no issues whatsoever. I'm sure the battery life's declined slightly over time but nothing drastic or anything.

10. Ag52013

Ag52013 Member
    Bronze

I just got one of these for Christmas and the battery only lasts about 14 hours, (and that's not even doing much with it) I'm assuming by all the above posts that it's meant to last longer than that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

I would think so. When you first got it, did you choose the option to download all companion watch apps for apps on your iPhone? Since then have you adjusted/removed some of those and or tweaked notifications? My initial setup took every app. I don't know if this impacted battery life or not directly, but indirectly it would seem to be a factor. Now, I have about a dozen or less companion apps and notifications are limited to 'Breathe', 'Fantastical2', 'Messages', 'GoogleMaps', 'OmniFocus', 'CarrotWeather', and maybe one or two more. From the beginning, I have not been overly impressed with the battery, but surprisingly satisfied. I get two plus days easy when needed.