Apple watch cases and bumper thread

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
So far, I chose the TPU Luvvitt Clarity case for my 42mm watch. It has a nice lip to give some protection for the display. It doesn't seem too bulky for me. I might get a black one if I decide to change the look with a black band.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434303843.391461.jpg

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Given my decision to start trying third-party adapters and watch bands, I decided to invest in protection. I thought I'd never buy a case, but decided to heir on the side of caution. This one from Monoy looks like it can easily be removed for times when I want the watch to look its best.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
that's cool, let us know if it's any good. I wouldn't mind something like that.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Given my decision to start trying third-party adapters and watch bands, I decided to invest in protection. I thought I'd never buy a case, but decided to heir on the side of caution. This one from Monoy looks like it can easily be removed for times when I want the watch to look its best.
It looks good but my only concern is the moisture that may accumulate under the screen protector when exercising/working out. I know you can pop it off and clean but not really ideal when in the middle of a workout or run.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I have a Monoy on the way but I also ordered a Moko. It is a back facing case that wraps forward and has no screen covering.
View attachment 41924
The best part is that it offers FULL protection for my camera! O_o

View attachment 41925
Just make sure it has the holes for the straps release button otherwise you'll be required to remove the cover anytime you want to change straps.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434408640.562583.jpg

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I just finished installing the Armorsuit on my GF Apple Watch. Full screen protection. It does give a bit of orange peel but my fingers no longer leave smudges.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434408700.468002.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434408711.339074.jpg

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Well, the Moko is a nice, soft, clear, flexible case but it really shows up and looks like a case when it's on.
image.jpg

Too shiny for my tastes but it offers good protection. No cutouts for band releases but they are easily accessed since the case is so flexible. Access to crown and button is reduced but still ok.

PROS: works well with screen protector from Zagg
CONS: looks like a rubber case

On the other hand, the Monoy hard plastic case looks great and is almost invisible. It offers the same full side case protection as the Moko as well as full face covering.
image.jpg

This is the one I'm going to use for now. It really is practically like having no case. Crown and button access is great, and it doesn't cover band releases.

PROS: invisible! Full face cover
CONS: none yet, unless you already have a face shield on, then you probably should remove the shield, although in the pic above I have my Zagg still on under the Monoy.

Last edited:
Uh oh.. First few hours with the Monoy and I found what I think may be an issue. I went running and as usual I started the Runkeeper app from my watch in order to get interval pace change cues on my watch. Typically it vibrates me every two minutes to tell me to change pace. I found that it failed to notify me and when I checked i saw that something had apparently told the watch to pause running. I resumed and it happened again shortly thereafter. I removed the case for the remainder of the run and all went well.

After thinking about it for a bit I realized that it may be due to having my Zagg shield on the face under the case. I have now removed the Zagg (I'll get a replacement free under warranty in case I want it later) and I'll test it tomorrow to see if that was the problem. Stay tuned.

Update on the Monoy case. Today I ran with the case only, I removed the Zagg from under it. Despite fogging of the cover over the face of the watch, the app did not react and no phantom taps were noticed. HOWEVER, the chime that normally accompanies notifications was absent. I checked my setting for Sounds & Haptics on the phone and everything looked fine; speaker volume up, Mute off. So as a test I turned off the setting 'Cover to Mute'. Sure enough, chimes started working again, but stopped as soon as I set Cover to Mute back on. Seems the Apple Watch thinks I'm covering the face when the case is on.

I'm also finding the space between the case and watch face gets wet and humid after any exercise, and sometimes even just during a humid day.

IMG_1932.jpg

Totally unacceptable. It is very easy to remove, clean, and replace, but it certainly isn't a usable case for my activities.

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
If I were in construction, the last thing I'd wear (besides clothes), is an Apple Watch.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Update on the Monoy case. Today I ran with the case only, I removed the Zagg from under it. Despite fogging of the cover over the face of the watch, the app did not react and no phantom taps were noticed. HOWEVER, the chime that normally accompanies notifications was absent. I checked my setting for Sounds & Haptics on the phone and everything looked fine; speaker volume up, Mute off. So as a test I turned off the setting 'Cover to Mute'. Sure enough, chimes started working again, but stopped as soon as I set Cover to Mute back on. Seems the Apple Watch thinks I'm covering the face when the case is on.

I'm also finding the space between the case and watch face gets wet and humid after any exercise, and sometimes even just during a humid day.

View attachment 41950

Totally unacceptable. It is very easy to remove, clean, and replace, but it certainly isn't a usable case for my activities.
That's what I was afraid of with screen covers. I saw a little bit of moisture under my clear bumper case so I figured it would be worse with screen covers.

Jun 3, 2015
ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1435522405.956597.jpg

Just picked up the X-doria case from best buy. It's really nice and easy to install it actually fits snug and goes on from underneath so you don't fall to worry about it popping off like some other cases. I highly recommend!!

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
View attachment 42047

Just picked up the X-doria case from best buy. It's really nice and easy to install it actually fits snug and goes on from underneath so you don't fall to worry about it popping off like some other cases. I highly recommend!!
Be careful with hard cases. I've read that if dirt gets under the case, it will scratch the watch. Just make sure you clean the case often to keep dirt from accumulating under it.

Jun 3, 2015
Not really worried about scratches because I have the armorsuit full body screen protector installed as well so I have full protection including apple care +

Today I installed the Armorsuit full body protection. What a pain in the butt. Aligning and waiting for the main section to dry enough to stay stuck on the curves was bad enough, but the tiny upper and lower pieces made me crazy. Installation is tedious, and it took about 30 minutes for the curved edges to get tacky enough to stay stuck down. Then you have to keep going back over the corners to get them down completely. I guess if you have the patience for the application process this is an acceptable alternative but it's just not worth it for me. YMMV

mikeysams

Jun 19, 2013
Today I installed the Armorsuit full body protection. What a pain in the butt. Aligning and waiting for the main section to dry enough to stay stuck on the curves was bad enough, but the tiny upper and lower pieces made me crazy. Installation is tedious, and it took about 30 minutes for the curved edges to get tacky enough to stay stuck down. Then you have to keep going back over the corners to get them down completely. I guess if you have the patience for the application process this is an acceptable alternative but it's just not worth it for me. YMMV
My thoughts exactly