Apple Watch OS 1.0.1 Released

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by chris, May 19, 2015.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Apple has released Watch OS 1.0.1, the first update to the software that powers the Apple Watch. The update clocks in at 51.6MB and is described as including performance enhancements and bug fixes. The official changelog notes the following improvements:

Improved performance for:

• Siri
    • Measuring Stand activity
    • Calculating calories for indoor cycling and rowing workouts
    • Accessibility
    • Third party apps
    Display support for new Emoji characters

The update also includes assorted language support.

Installing now.

2. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

Still being told to stand up today while standing up....

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I'm not sure it's time to say their quality control is going downhill. These aren't hardware issues, but rather software for a completely new product line. This is a 1.0 product, so it's going to have some level of software issues. I think a bigger concern are apps (both stock and third party). Those are still too slow for my taste. I don't use apps much, because of this. It's easier to pick up my iPhone.

4. Ramesh

Ramesh Zealot
    Gold

IMO this iOS has been the buggiest one yet. Don't get me wrong, still great - but I feel slightly less stable. And I suppose you're right. For a 1.0 product, it is pretty well done. After owning the Pebble, LG G, and the Moto360, this is the best watch, hands down.

5. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Yeah, Pebble is as buggy if not more now than when it first came out. My apple watch runs circles around Pebble's clunky OS. Now, battery life? That one goes to Pebble.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Do you think that might be because it does more and you use it more than the Pebble? I rememeber that was a big thing when we went from flip phones to iPhones, and it was because of the screen and how we were using it for Internet and many other things we didn't have prior to getting a smart phone.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Well, I am ready to say that. Their software quality control has been terrible for the past of couple years. It typically takes them six months after major iOS releases to put out a stable version. For example, mobile Safari crashed repeatedly for many of us on 6.x and 7.x for several months until they released an update to fix the problems. Touch ID was flaky and had quality degradation issues for about eight months after launch until they fixed it with a software update. It's worked perfectly for me since. It's unbelievable that it took them that long to fix it. They even launched an iOS update (8.0.1) that killed cellular reception and Touch ID. I don't have a watch, but it sounds extremely unreliable. There is no excuse for this. They need to ramp up their beta testing. It's gotten ridiculous.

8. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Yeah that may be part of it, Pebble never reached the level of reliability with notifications that apple watch achieved with v 1.0 I had to constantly reboot Pebble, re-pair etc. never got it working 100% reliably

9. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I don't disagree with you. Apple still falls short of Apple's previous standards. I'd still put their software and stability way ahead of Android. Forgetting about stability, upgrades are still a mess over there. I'm still waiting for my Moto X 2013 to receive Android 5.0. And when it does finally come out, they'll be on to Android M. The Moto X was pitched as being as close to the pure Android experience as you could get and it is, just not with the upgrades.

iOS has become a bit of a perpetual beta. With a public beta of iOS 9, that should help stamp out more bugs before the public release.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

One of the major problems was beta testers couldn't even report bugs until last year. You had to be the actual developer to report them on iOS 7. With iOS 8 they finally allowed anyone who was running the beta to report them. Didn't seem to help much, as iOS 8 was still quite buggy the first few months, but it was a step in the right direction. Like you said, hopefully the public beta will help.