Apple Watch sales plunge

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by JWiPhone, Jul 7, 2015.

1. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

#1 JWiPhone, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

This was predictable. Attention has turned to the "S" version of iPhone 6. And most who want a watch and don't yet have one are waiting for the 2nd generation.

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

The source of e data has been called into question. I guess time will tell.

4. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I see what you did there ;)

5. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

Wow. They are "only" selling less than 20,000 a day (x $350). I wish I was that lucky!

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Actually, that was totally unintended.

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The sales are estimated much lower in CNN's article. They list around 2,500 sales per day. That's a 90% drop.

9. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

If we all started a company selling widgets at the price points of the Apple Watch, and if our sales at launch matched the Apple Watch sales, and if sales dropped after launch to the present Apple Watch sales levels, we would have a very, very successful company. It's all relative.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Apple would have continued to be successful if they hadn't made the watch at all or even if it completely failed. It's not like the watch is their best selling product or one that they rely on. Yes, those numbers would be extremely impressive for one of us if we had just started a tech company, but they have so much going for them that a new business can't really compete with. The numbers aren't that impressive for a new Apple product, considering where they currently stand in the world. I'm sure this drop off is disappointing to them. I doubt they sugarcoat it and look at it in relative terms considering how much better they did than some startup company could have done.

11. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I would think the drop off would be totally expected. I would think everyone that really wanted one would get on in the beginning. Then others would slowly trickle in for the next 6 or 7 months. I would have never expected a huge continuous sales trend.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Drop offs are expected. It happens with the iPhone as well. It's just that the watch sales dropped off a lot sooner and with a much higher percentage than many anticipated. It's still the best selling smart watch to date.

13. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I do love my Apple Watch. Hands down the best Smart Watch I have had. I think it loves me too. I can tell by the way the little heart beats when I check my Heart Rate. However this is like my iPad and something I would not upgrade every year as I do with my iPhone. Yeah, I have to have a new one every year. But with the watch and my iPad. I can't see them adding anything to it to make me want another one.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

So a thinner design with better battery life, a higher resolution screen, built-in GPS and WiFi for less reliance on the iPhone, improved waterproofing, a camera, faster processor, heart rate monitoring improvements, and a long line of gorgeous new bands wouldn't get ya and you could allow yourself to be seen with last year's watch on your wrist? :eek:

I'm holding out for halographic messages, a 3D projector and a transporter. :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I'm holding out for a driving interface.. I want to be able to drive my car from my watch. All that sounds good, but what made me get goose bumps was a Transporter!!!
    A self contained personal transporter would make me buy a new one.

16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Yeah, it's all fun and games with your Watch-based transporter until this happens.

17. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

Yoeman Rand can still Transport me any day... As long as she is wearing the Red outfit from the Original Show.

18. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

Didn't this also happen to the first iPad and iPhone? Version 1.0. It'll only get better.

19. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

What if the new watch turns you into a bad actor. That's worse than the transporter malfunction!
    "IM A WATCH, JIM. NOT A TRANSPORTER!"

20. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

And that beehive on her head.

[​IMG]