Apple Watch - Scratch Already!

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I don't have an Apple Watch, but if I had a stainless steel model, I'd just try to embrace the well-worn look. It would be a constant battle otherwise and I'd always be buffing away layers of metal. I'd buff it right before sale, but otherwise leave it alone.

Think of it like an old pair of jeans, or better yet, a pair that was sold with pre-made holes to bypass the new look completely, or a used leather wallet or iPhone case.

View attachment 41593
I think that would look gross. Even that picture of the phone looks gross and makes me think the owner smells. That's just my irrelevant unfiltered opinion. I'm just a boring neat freak :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I think that would look gross. Even that picture of the phone looks gross and makes me think the owner smells. That's just my irrelevant unfiltered opinion. I'm just a boring neat freak :)
I'm a neat freak as well, so I know the scratches would bug me quite a bit. I don't want a stainless steel Apple watch anyway. I'm just saying if I did have one, I wouldn't want to rub off metal all the time. That's not a good long-term solution.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I'm a neat freak as well, so I know the scratches would bug me quite a bit. I don't want a stainless steel Apple watch anyway. I'm just saying if I did have one, I wouldn't want to rub off metal all the time. That's not a good long-term solution.
I got the cheap space gray aluminum and so far it's pristine and I use it daily on my jogs etc. it may turn out more durable than the more expensive SS. I think I will cancel my black SS due to ship July

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Nap you're a cult level figure here, and based on your grammar thread, the biggest neat freak:D

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
I've read it would take 1,000 polishing sessions to remove enough of the stainless steel for it to be noticeable. Regardless, I'll be conservative, and maybe only do this process for future large gashes. But, I'll likely do a yearly refresh to bring it back to new. That is, if I don't sell it next year for a new version... :)

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I don't know but reviews like this drive me crazy, this kid claims his watch screen was scratched severely by just using it every day??? At the end of the video you can see as if sand paper was used to severely scratch the screen, no way that level was for just one day use without any obvious intentional damage, the BS!!!

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
I don't know but reviews like this drive me crazy, this kid claims his watch screen was scratched severely by just using it every day??? At the end of the video you can see as if sand paper was used to severely scratch the screen, no way that level was for just one day use without any obvious intentional damage, the BS!!!
He lost me at " The problem is is when you constantly have to keep trying, you are taking your glass watch and putting it up against a metal terminal - so that's definitely going to scratch it". Except that apple pay uses NFC (NEAR field communications). Not TOUCH field communication. Someone get this guy an instruction manual haha

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
He lost me at " The problem is is when you constantly have to keep trying, you are taking your glass watch and putting it up against a metal terminal - so that's definitely going to scratch it". Except that apple pay uses NFC (NEAR field communications). Not TOUCH field communication. Someone get this guy an instruction manual haha
Exactly and even if you tap it, to generate that kind of damage you'd have to rub it forcefully against jagged metas LMAO

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
If I were to get an Apple Watch, i would have to put some protection on it. It may add some bulk but at least I would have to worried about scratches.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432044856.831509.jpg

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
While scratches will bother me...this will be the first Apple product that I will not protect with anything. I'd put a protector on the Sport with the glass, but with sapphire and stainless, I'm gonna go "naked." Watches wear like...watches. The glass should be golden...and the case will scratch just like any other watch. Resale will be resale...and I'll recoup what I can when it becomes time to upgrade.

Apple4me

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I'm not too worried about the sapphire screen on my Apple SS Watch, but I am worried about the Stainless Steel getting scratched. I picked up a set of skins http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NG09IT0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and applied only the body shields. I really can't tell that they are on the watch without looking very closely and now I feel much better having the beautiful stainless steel body protected!

Njshoremom4gurlz

Contributor
Silver
Sep 13, 2011
It's a watch it will scratch up just enjoy it and there's stuff on Amazon like screen protectors I would probably look into..... It happens.
Maybe get insurance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
I'm all good now. Maybe 2 times a year ill buff it out with some polish and it'll be good as new!