Apple Watch Series 3

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by imutter, Sep 13, 2017.

1. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

For me the watch was a bigger announcement .
    I was surprised when they announced the new sim card. I love the fact that you use 1 phone number and of course the size of the device has not changed.
    There is no smartwatch out there compatible to Apple watch 3 ?

2. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I was disappointed about no change in form factor

3. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

What did you want it to look like? I love the form factor, but that's just my opinion.

4. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

I ordered the wifi-only watch. I have my phone with my all the time, so getting the one with LTE wouldn't make any sense for me. $120 a year for data, no thanks. Plus, I'm sure that phone calls and streaming music will kill the battery.

5. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

I ordered wifi+LTE SS Black. I will NEVER use it for calls. But I live by my calendar and it needs to be up to date at all times. The LTE will allow me to leave the iPhone X in the car or wherever and still be current.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I ordered the cellular version in white. I don't take my phone to the gym when I go swimming since I don't like to leave it in a my car, a locker or at the poolside, so I'm excited that now I'll now a have a "phone" when I go out to swim.

I also can't wait to go hiking with it. I gotta find that app they talked about last year at the Keynote that alerts you if you go off your trail. I've done that twice in the past year on poorly-marked trails and then had to use GPS on my phone to find the trail again. An alert would be optimal.

#6 Europa, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  7. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I was hoping for a thinner form factor. Round doesn’t matter to me but thinner would be nice, also less bezels, a camera, all that would have worked. Leaving is unchanged just feels lazy to me.

8. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

Thinner, with less bezels (thus more screen) and a camera would probably all add to an inferior battery life.

9. Kobel1up

Kobel1up Member
    Bronze

Apple needs to figure out how to add battery to the watch strap. Or some kind of solar panel on the bezel for charging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

11. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

In theory... better chips and power management could overcome that, like they have done in iPhones. I have a 1st gen Apple Watch and I haven’t being able to justify an update because it looks exactly the same... lazy in Te part of apple imho

12. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

Got my series 3 today. I love it. It is sooo quick! Everything about it is better. Brighter screen, faster app switching, Siri can talk. It even powered up and set up from a back up in no time. I didn't get the LTE version because I always have my phone with me so it didn't matter. Battery is amazing, also.

13. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

The Series 3 is so much faster than the first gen watch. It's amazing how much more responsive it is.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I just got my series 3 today as well. I had no idea Siri was silent before since this is my first Apple Watch. I set up cellular, but it doesn’t work. I get a red X when my phone is off.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Cellular started working on my watch today. :) AT&T sent me a text saying NumberSync is now on and data rates apply. I turned off my phone and was able to make and receive calls and texts on the watch and stream music to my Air Pods. I went for a swim with it on this morning and I’m going to go for hike and test out the watch ViewRanger app with some pre-loaded trails this afternoon. Pretty cool. As a lifelong watch aficionado, the kid in me is loving the fact that I finally have a Dick Tracy watch.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

First full day with the watch. I closed all my rings. :) The accelerometer works so well that it documented the types of swim strokes I did each lap.

CE299949-D17E-4AFD-8FB9-16A26058F24D.png

17. glsda

glsda Zealot
    Gold

Question for you early adopters and previous iwatch owners. I don't need the phone capability and am interested primarily in the activity logging capability of the watch, hiking, walking pilates, not swimming and strength training. Please keep in mind I am 72 years old so I do all this to drink wine, scotch, eat pasta, chocolate and ice cream. With that in mind would you recommend the series 1 or 3. Europa and Hondamaker you have always given good advice in the past, thank you.

18. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I don't wear watches, but this new Watch intrigues me. I'll probably get one next year so @Europa can't lord hers over me. :D

#18 Napoleon PhoneApart, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  19. kenwolf

kenwolf New Member

Europa, did you have a Apple Watch before this one?

20. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I am still waiting for my watch . My dad got sick and I was on an airplane to germany for pre order. i decided to actually size up and get the 42mm this time round. I am looking for new watchbands too. It's a little harder to find more feminin bands for the 42mm watch.
    I decided for LTE. I did not know it works over numbersync @Europa ? So do you still get a separate number for the watch and then you use the sync option?