Apple Watch won't let iPhone go into standby

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by lancer_325, Nov 23, 2015.

1. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

Have been having terrible trouble with my iphone battery usage stats. Have done hard resets of the phone, fresh installs, deleted apps, calibrated the battery and every other possible tweak but to no avail. The standby time was always creeping up. For e.g. id put the phone on airplane mode and leave it sit for an 10 mins and it would show an increase in the usage time of about 4 mins of that 10 minutes. Over the weekend, i have finally just realized that it is the apple watch causing the hassle. I have minimal 3rd party apps on the watch and have the bluetooth connection active. Here's the thing though, when i turn off the bluetooth connection the phone does enter standby as it was designed to do. When i turn on bluetooth and reconnect to the watch again the phone will not enter standby mode and continues to show usage time when it is in standby (and the watch is not being actively used). Have others noticed this? Any solutions to this or am I just being overly sensitive? It does mean that my iPhone battery usage is not accurate. Perhaps its the heart rate monitor reporting every 10 minutes? I have twitter set to notify me on the watch as well as calls and texts, but little more. The watch is ios 2 and the iPhone is ios 9.1/. Sorry for long post. Decided to put this here instead of the apple watch forum as its mainly an iPhone issue. Thanks all.

2. digitalcuriosity

Bronze

It'sbeen posted many times that people who have an apple Watch, matched to their iPhones will find the iPhone battery in need of charging quickly.
    The Apple watch has to be talking to to the phone as long as it's used.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Excessive iPhone battery drain due to the Apple Watch being paired to it is not normal. There are troubleshooting steps that will help you resolve the problem. I recommend resetting the watch. You'll also want to let your iPhone battery drain down to zero and power itself off and then charge it to 100% to calibrate it. Here are more some troubleshooting steps.

4. digitalcuriosity

Bronze

If it's not normal why do so many report after paring their Apple watch's with their iPhones, do they start having a loss of battery life?

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The watch will decrease the battery on the phone, which is quite obvious, but it should not drop significantly or excessively. Most people with Apple Watches don't experience excessive battery drain on their phones. People who aren't having problems typically don't post about it online, which often makes problems seem more common than they really are. What the OP described is not normal and it can likely be fixed with the software troubleshooting steps I posted. Occasionally it requires a hardware replacement.

6. lancer_325

lancer_325 Member
    Bronze

Thanks Europa. Have tried all this steps before and it's not fling any good. For instance I charged the phone up last night and today the stats both read the same. When I turn off Bluetooth it still uses 2 minutes of every 10 while in standby. Don't know what is doing it. Have even disabled iCloud to see if that was the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Anthony Carver

Bronze

Then the only thing you could do is to contact the nearest Apple store and ask them to repair it for you.