Apple webapps out already?

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
most of them are nothing more than web pages that will format for iPhone use. ive actually sat down and scrolled threw every singe app that appsafari has to offer and i mean come on? how many damn diff soduko games can they posibly produce? sorry just ranting.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008

im sorry, i wasn't trying to diss sudoku, i was just saying that there are way too many repeat sights out there to sort threw when at the end of all my looking i didn't even come accrose fifty that were worth actually adding to my phone.

again i apolagize Napoleon_PhoneApart

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
ugh. web apps. they are moderately acceptable if you're on wi-fi, but on edge, they are useless. i also love the ones with ads on the bottom (sarcasm). :rolleyes:

i can't stand web apps.

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
ugh. web apps. they are moderately acceptable if you're on wi-fi, but on edge, they are useless. i also love the ones with ads on the bottom (sarcasm). :rolleyes:

i can't stand web apps.
Well after I posted about the Ruler web app, I realized you could just spider the site and view it locally with a JB'd iPhone. I'm going to have a go with localizing the Ruler app after dance class with my better half.

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
x666x how do you spider the site to make it viewable locally?
Well I haven't found/looked for a solution on Mac, because I still prefer to use HTTrack for PC (under VMware/Leopard).http://www.httrack.com/

One thing I'm still investigating however, is if .js javascript files will work natively on the phone or not, they may need some coaxing through permissions, I'm not quite sure, but a lot of these Web Apps use that stuff, as well as AJAX, which unfortunately doesn't spider.

Sites more likely to spider are the ones that don't use too much scripting on the backend. Simple web apps like a Weight Watcher's Calorie counter, for example, should be able to spider well, but again run into the problem of whether or not the iPhone can parse external script files internally. I will get to the bottom of this later tonight.